Name Games

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Just a ramble down memory lane, but looking at today’s tackle adverts, I started to wonder on the whereabouts of some of older names. When did the image consultants deem that nice Mr. Shakespeare drop his first name of Norris, and that Mr. Sealey had to stop using his given name of Edgar. How many combinations have there been of the ABU/Garcia/Leeda/Mitchell names? When did Hardy Bros. split up – was it something to do with the pop group, if so which one got to keep the House they are now in? Tackle makers such as Rodrill, JB Walker, Anon-Shaw, KP Morritts (Intrepid), Gladding, Terminal tackle such as Kroic and Au Lion D’or hooks, Pescalon and Black Seal line, Newark Needle floats etc.etc.
Where are all the acronyms these days: –
M.A.R C.O - Modern Arms Rod Company
EFGEECO - E F Goodard and Co.
APOLLO – Accles & Pollack.
MILBRO – Millward Bros.
P.D.Q – Pegley-Davis Quality (or some such, can’t quite recall)
I am sure our members will be able to tell us where they have gone, and no doubt add some more to the list.

M

Mike Parker

Blimey Kevin, you must be an old gimmer to have knowledge of names like that!8o)~
I'm just grateful that my great,great grandad sat me on his lap when I was a wee lad and told me about the names so at least someone appreciates your knowledge of names. I think you are a right s*d for making me feel old.
ps I still have some Au Lion D'or hooks in my hook box, nice little gold numbers great for bronze maggots.

K

Kevan Farmer

I still regularly use a PDQ maggot box. I don't have any of those Au Lion D'or hooks left though, yes mine were the gold ones too. Sadly I used the last of them about 15 yrs ago :-( bit on the soft side though. Milbro? Hmmm, I've got one of their centre pins somewhere...

Kevan

A

Andrew Thomas

Bloody hell Kevin , haven't heard those names since the halcyon days of your old group, Black Sabbath.

You are Geezer Butler aren't you?

J

John Pleasance

In spite of the obvious connection with Pegley Davies, PDQ stood for Peerless, Durable, Qualitative.

Them Au-Lion d'Or's are a bit modern ,I've got a few Goldstrikes in my tackle box still!!!!
I'm right out of Model Perfects though.

J

John Pleasance

Rodrill was still going not too long ago but not as Rodrill. Bob Draper(Mr Rodrill) used to make all the rods sold under Bob Church's name and a few others.The last time I met him he was mostly making wooden float boxes.

S

Steve King

Efgeeco were taken over by Sundridge many moons ago and the Efgeeco brand was finally dropped 3 or 4 years ago. Gladding took over Intrepid (horrible "Tanglemaster Reels")and Edgar Sealey back in the 70s and for whatever reason the combo didn't survive very long. The Sealey factory closed and Intrepid ceased making fixed spool reels. The factory continued to produce the Rimfly reels for Leeda but I'm not sure if the factory is still going - the reels could well be produced in the far east (like everything else!)Apparently Gladding are still alive and well in the USA.

K

Kevan Farmer

'Efgeeco were taken over by Sundridge many moons ago...' and now Sundridge have been taken over themselves by Daiwa. The distribution has suffered as a result. According to my local tackle dealer.

Kevan