fast taper or slow taper

fruitowl

Reaction score
been looking to add a 4oz tip to my daiwa vulcan to fish the severn in it's current high lvl.
i know the rod it self is good enough as had my pb of 7lb on it but am slightly confused as to which taper slow or fast any advice guys. :wh

bigchub

Reaction score
Most heavier tips (usually 3oz+) are made from carbon so by their very composition are slow taper. This means they are stiffer and are more suitable to flood or heavy water conditions as it takes more pressure to pull them round.
Fast taper tips are at the lighter end of the scale (1/2oz - 2 1/2oz) and because they are made of glass are naturally more flexible so are fast taper because of less pressure to show a bite.
Basically to sum up glass bends with far less pressure than carbon.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Most heavier tips (usually 3oz+) are made from carbon so by their very composition are slow taper. This means they are stiffer and are more suitable to flood or heavy water conditions as it takes more pressure to pull them round.
Fast taper tips are at the lighter end of the scale (1/2oz - 2 1/2oz) and because they are made of glass are naturally more flexible so are fast taper because of less pressure to show a bite.
Basically to sum up glass bends with far less pressure than carbon.

thanks bigchub

ordered a 4oz today