replacement bearings for my 7HT

bigperca1

Reaction score
I have just bought a secondhand Daiwa 7ht. Although it seems to run fine I was thinking about replacing the bearings and adding a mag conversion kit.

My question is - is it worth replacing the reels bearings or will I see no real improvement in performance? If new bearings are a viable option, what ABEC grade should I go for, and should I opt for ceramic?

I'll be using it for fishing and just want to get the best from the reel.

---------- Post added at 02:19 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

Also - assuming I put in faster bearings, would it be wise to add the mag conversion or just leave it withthe factory fitted centrifugal breaks? If I fit the mag kit then I would need to remove the centrifugal system and I'm not sure which system woyld be best.

I've had a bog standard 7ht before and had no problems with birds nests but I'm just worried that if I speed up the reel with better bearings then I might not be able to control it during the cast.

williams7383

Reaction score
a 7HT casts perfectly out of a box, have also used one uptiding with 8oz of lead and a big bait, had to slow that down though, it chucked miles though

bigperca1

Reaction score
i agree - my last one was great.

I was really wondering if there was any real improvement to be had by upgrading the bearings from the standard factory fitted ones.

chav professor

Reaction score
The beauty of the 7HT was that it was a 'fishing' dream, with care, over runs are rare........ stick to standard bearings..... ceramics are great for the casting court or some models of reel for beach casting, but I reacon only an option on a reel with mag breaks.

for definative advice on all things beach casting/sea fishing have a chat with the lads at break-away tackle......Breakaway Tackle Sea Fishing Tackle

They have a full range of bearings etc and would be pleased to help. they are also on facebook which is great as you can ask advice. it is seen daily by the shop manager Dave Brown.... Hope this helps