First Barbel

Reaction score
Well it's finally happened. When I introduced myself tothe forum several months again on my return to fishing after 30 years, I mentioned all my previous fishing had been on still waters. Wellthe pleasure in fishing rivers are many butcatching species of fish I had never caught before was one of the best. Grayling, dace and chub all new, plus river perch much bigger than anything I had caught before, but the barbel was eluding me. I was speaking to a friend who is a keen fly fisherman and he pointed out that I am a steep learning curve .When I compare how I fished back in August and how I have improved greatly in no small part due to the excellent advise available on this forum, excellent articles especially Sean Meeghans Yorkshire barbel series[ I was fishing the Leeds stretch of the Wharfe] and the barbel postings .What I can now do so much better is read the river conditions, the weather, be selective about tactics and which species to fish for and actually catch the targeted species. TodaywhenIcaught my barbel, all 5lbs of him, I knew it was not just luck I had got right each of those four factor. It's great at 51 to experience on my first sight of that fish that long forgotten child like excitment. The only flies in the ointment are my hands stink of halibut pellets and the source and even after repeat washing will take days to disappear andI broke the quiver tip of my new Korum rod but a posting on the forum explains how to get a replacement. Sorted!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I can't speak for any of the others on here ,but i like too when i can help other ,because by helping others enjoy their fishing as much as i enjoy mine means i can give somethng back ,one one day it'll be the same for you i'm sure ,we all know stuff and can give advice or help however small ! as one day I too may need help .Thats why theseinternet forums are rightly called online communities ,where we can all help each other too success.

one bit of advice i can give is this cure for your fly in the ointment (well sort of) a while ago now one Mr marsden did a review of "magic soap" a kind of odour removing metal soap you wash your hands with and the smell is gone ......just like magic ,i cant remember the brand name of the ones reviewed but i got mine from tesco's .the tesco extra super stores are now stocking a verion of the steel soap called fresh hands made by culinarewich cost about £3.85p .you'll have to do a search of this site too find the review or relavent thread/topic about usng them to remove fishy smells .

E

Eric Hayes

Save your money Michael, use Shaving foam it works a treat. Just wash your hands in it and the fishy smell will go. I have one of the metal soap things but it crap &won't get rid of the halibut smell.

Morespiders

Reaction score
What do you want to wash the smell off your hands for, seems stupid after putting it on all day.

G

Geoff Cowen

Well done for catching your first Barbel lets hope it's the first of many! I find the anti-septic hand wash stuff you use without water helps to keep the smell away I use it throughout the day and it really helps and it stops you catching any nasty illnesses as well.

Keith M

Reaction score
I suspect that you will always remember your first Barbel, I do and mine was also a 5 pounder even though I caught an 8 pounder later the same night, itsmy first one that I will always remember.

Lovely fishwhich 'pound for pound' fight much harder than a carp and usually fight all the way to the landing net. and need to be gently recovered before releasing again.

Congratulations on your first of many.

Reaction score
Thanks guy. Yes pound for pound it gave a hell of a fight. The only fish I have caught that could give a better account on the pound for pound front was when I fished for mullet in the docks and tidal creeks on my match rod float fishing bread where I was brought up. Now that something to consider when I visit my mum in the summer.