Pit Fishing for Tench ? Part 1

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I enjoyed the reading on part one, as I,ve taking note of what you said ref 7pm-2pm is trench time.

Now am looking forward to part 2. Cheers mate.

C

Clive

Good common-sense article, look forward to part 2.

I'm going to assume you meant 7am -2pm?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

great read very informative. Do lovea good tench session.

C

Clive

That's 19 hours Jimmy ? I'm sure, since he mentions first light, he meant the 7 hours up to 2pm. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True Clive,Sorry mate. I,m quite sure that our Graham will give Steve a wee dig?.

Keith M

Reaction score
Quote from Steve "It is dangerous to generalise in angling but I would say that 7pm to 2pm is tench time! Of course you should be there earlier to get location clues but I have not found first light to be that busy."

We waggler fish for Tench in a small gravel pit (6 or 7acres approx) in Hertfordshire where the Tench feed in abandon betweenfirst lightand approx07:30 when we then pack-up and go to work, and the anglers that are arriving as we leave sit there all day with only one or two Tench if they are lucky. There is a short evening feedingspell but it is nowhere near as good as the morning session. At night the Tench can be very hit or miss. This may be because theymight bemoving away from the bankinto deeper water during the other times and legering using the methods you describe may be the key.

However; The feeding times are reversed on our nearby shallow estate lake and the the most productive time for Tenchseems to bein the evenings through till around midnight on there.

I really enjoyed the article and am reallylooking forward to the next part.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

The Tenchfeed on different food items at different timesof the day.

In gravel pits that are not heavily fished it is common to get more fish on small baits such as maggots and casters from dawn until mid morning and then for larger baits like boillies to be far better till mid afternoon.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Yes I do mean 7am to 2pm.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I too have fished a venue when all the main float action comes between 4.30am and about 10am (in June/July) so of course generalisations can always be a bit wide of the mark.

Getting to know these feeding times is a big advantage and time on a venue will eventually provide you with this information.

For example I foundCEMEX Papercourt definitely not a first light water yet Theale 1 was.

Blenheim Palace lake seems to get going by about 9am and can fish well all day if it is cloudy despite it being an estate lake, even in the shallower 6 foot depths. This goes against most estate lake lore that says its a first light event!

On the big CEMEX venue I am currently fishing 7am is a good start time for action through to about 2pm. One section of the pit is a good late afternoon opportunity with 4pm being time to land a few. I think thetench are quite nomadic (as they are in many pits) and cover a lot of feeding areas in a day.

Tight Lines. Steve.

G

Geoff Dawe

Reallyinformative article. Mind you, if I catch a nine pounder, I think I will be grinning a bit more than you were in your photoSteve. Last time I went tench fishing the British record was 8lb 8oz!!!!!!

S

sash

Must agree with Andy Nellist on this one. From my experiences on a number of gravel pits getting up just before or onfirst light and recasting always resulted in fish even if there had been no action from late pm until then. As the morning wore on bigger (and different, "in your face") baits seemed to produce more fish. I've always found late morning until late pm hard with heavy feeding taking place again in the evening.

I thought for a while that this was down to pressure on the pits but the same sequence seems to have manifested itself on a number of waters, even those that I have to myself.

Nothing prettier in my book than a clonking, golden tench in the early morning mist and sun though.........../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

On most of the waters I've fished for tench it's been first light until about 8.30am, and then another feedingspell usually between 11am and 1pm.

The whole feeding period could be prolonged all the way through from first light to 1pm on warm, overcast days.