Hello

kirsty

Reaction score
Hi, i'm kirsty and am in need of a lot of advice about fishing. I have been fishing before spent 2 weeks in st austell cornwall the campsite we stayed out had 3 big ponds where we caught carp, bream and roach, only thing is was that i was with someone who has experience in fishing.
Me and my friend are planning going fishing next weekend i bought myself this Buy Keenets Anglers Fishing Set with Net at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Fishing sets, Limited stock Sports and leisure, Fishing, Fishing, Limited stock Sports and leisure. just as im starting out.
I think i am going to need some different hooks, line and more shots i need any advice people can give what to fish for best place to fish around aldershot area how to get set up what bait to use etc any advice at all would be grateful :)

maceo

Reaction score
Hi Kirsty - welcome to the forum.

That Argos deal looks pretty good for the money. Fine for getting started with on a budget I'd say. Of course you'll go on adding to you tackle as you go along.

As you say, you're going to need some line for the reel. Probably something around 4-6lb breaking strain will serve as general purpose for getting started. Depends on what water you're fishing.

I see the kit comes with floats and shot so you should be OK for those to start with. You'll probably want something to sit on too, but just a little folding camping stool will be fine to begin with - cheap to buy and light to carry.

You'll need to decide what bait you're going to use. If it's going to be maggots, you'll probably want a bigger bait box than the one that comes with that kit. Maggots are a great all round bait and will catch almost anything that swims. Sweetcorn from a tin also works well, as does bread.

Some different sizes of hooks to nylon would probably be useful as you say - but not essential for the first session.

Good luck with your first solo trip. Are you planning to go on a lake or a river? Either way, you will need a rod licence before you go. They're £27 but it's a big fine if you're caught fishing without one.

blounty65

Reaction score
hi kirsty and welcome to the forum you will get all the advice you need on here we all help each other from the beginner right the way through to some very experienced anglers

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have a look at the Club Korum starter packs in your local tackle shop. They consist of small setups to cover float fishing, feeder fishing and pole fishing. The difference between these and many other starter kits is that the stuff looks half decent (the first I've ever seen that I actually thought might be worth someone buying) and is from a reputable tackle company. They also come with an instructional DVD. The website has a lot of good stuff for a newcomer.
Angling Journey - Club Korum

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Welcome to FM
Don't be shy at asking questions, plenty on here will help

Maceo advice is good, I'd go with 4lb main line and 3lb line to the hook, have a look at how to tie the blood knot and the grinner knot - YouTube has plenty of fishing videos that will help.
Find you local tackle shop and buy a couple of packeys of hook (about £1 for a packet of 10 hooks) in sizes 16 and 18, for bait maggots and sweet corn as good for starting with

good luck and enjoy

kirsty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies :) some very helpful info. Will need to learn how to tie the knots best start practising that before i go out on the lake, I'm just going to get a day licence for now and if then i decide to go more often ill get a longer licence. I was thinking of fishing badshot lea big pond but don't know if it is open couldn't find anything to say it was there was a report of KHV back in 2009 so was trying to find out if it was still closed.