Hemp with Chilli?

dave11

Reaction score
Well at this time of year I start to use hemp. No specific reason for this time of year I just do starting in August (I am a bit of a funny old git like that). Usually no flavourings just good old hemp. But I fancy a change this year. An old friend packed up this year and he gave me his bait left over’s. No hemp but chilli and also Chile flakes galore. He said put it in with your hemp and you will be amazed. I dismissed it but with a ton of chilli powder and flake it makes me think?

Anyone use Chilli in their hemp?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another good old school trick, bung a tablespoon of salt in per pint as well.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
is it any better than bog standard hemp though? Just being sceptical but it only seemed to gain popularity when the korda boys started banging it in there hemp and spod mix. Is it fashion or dose it make a difference?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pasted from a previous post of mine

'Why add anything (apart from water) - hemp seed has always been recognised as a bait/additive because of it's natural qualities - why complicate matters'.
Jerry

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Danny, Chilli hemp has been around way before the Korda boys (whatever they are) publicised it, I was using it in the 80's and it was old school then.

Jerry, that's a fair point but you could say the same thing about any bait additive.

dave11

Reaction score
It was back in the 80's you are right . One of the old Darenth valley carp anglers did it first . Swore by it until he gave up recently;)

I just don't know . Is there really any real evidence of any bait additive that works?.The only way to find out is if it works for you. I have used hemp for 30 years and never added anything but if i had used chilli would i have had more fish or less fish.
How long is a piece of string?
We all get told this flavour and that flavour works by korda but Chilli has been around since day dot as a additive so it must have form. Anglers don't use it for 30 years without evidence. We are talking about when Mr Fairbrass was in nappies and catching a 20lb carp made you a super hero on the front of Angling times.
I think keep feeding my normal swim with standard and set up a new one with hemp and chilli...Let's see if it works for ME...;)

terry m

Reaction score
I always add it to mt spod mix, perhaps it is fashion but the results are pretty good, but like everything in angling, it is a confidence thing. If adding some chilli powder or flakes boosts your confidence, then go for it!

barbelboi

Reaction score
This is only a personal thing, as omega fatty acids are essential to fish and humans and are only available through eating therefore, in my opinion, hemp oil is one of the best sources of these fatty acids and will catch/attract as well, if not better, without additions.
Jerry

bennygesserit

Reaction score
One of my earliest fishing memories is making bread mash with my Dad in the sixties before one of his work's fishing matches , "and now for the secret ingredient" ..... Aniseed , he swore by it , does anyone use it now ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
One of my earliest fishing memories is making bread mash with my Dad in the sixties before one of his work's fishing matches , "and now for the secret ingredient" ..... Aniseed , he swore by it , does anyone use it now ?

It was banned in some matches in the 60's for being too effective - you can still by a small bottle from a good chemist for less than a fiver. In the 60's we used to boil up aniseed balls for the flavour.
Jerry
PS In answer to your question - sometimes.

dave11

Reaction score
Yes i have heard about adding aniseed. my view is that use a additive which is a bit more natural may work. These old additives are worth a go ..Who knows but i like the thought of aniseed more than chilli

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've tried the chilli in the hemp, fresh powdered and flakes, The jury's still out, it is hard to know how much difference it actually makes but after an unfortunate experience I penned the following poem.

If you use chilli,
don't touch your willi.

No iff's or butts,
don't scratch your nuts.

Simple advice, but its served me well, on the other hand you could try it to freshen up your sex life, A west Indian colleague used to smear a little on his appendage, Apparently in his words; "It liven de bitches up, twenty seconds and dey doin de Fandango".

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I like the sound of aniseed as well. I do believe that an additive adds more scent and this may travel further than normal and attract more fish, especially on a river.

Sporadically, I have been using jam flavored sweet corn last year and this. As I fish the same river, the same methods etc over the last 12 years and have frequently used plain sweet corn-- I have a good sense that I have caught more and better fish on this than ordinary sweetcorn. So, I would say additives can work.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
on the other hand you could try it to freshen up your sex life, A west Indian colleague used to smear a little on his appendage, Apparently in his words; "It liven de bitches up, twenty seconds and dey doin de Fandango".

Have you ever heard the expression "to ginger them up"? It comes from a similar source I believe but is more commonly attributed to horse racing.

When I said 'hot hemp' was old school in the 80's I meant real old school. Some of the polish anglers who arrived on our shores during the war were adding chilli to hemp in the early 50's and Haiths red band pigeon conditioner which contains robin red (an additive derived from peppers) has been used as a bait by anglers from around the same time.

Last edited:

dave11

Reaction score
I've tried the chilli in the hemp, fresh powdered and flakes, The jury's still out, it is hard to know how much difference it actually makes but after an unfortunate experience I penned the following poem.

If you use chilli,
don't touch your willi.

No iff's or butts,
don't scratch your nuts.

Simple advice, but its served me well, on the other hand you could try it to freshen up your sex life, A west Indian colleague used to smear a little on his appendage, Apparently in his words; "It liven de bitches up, twenty seconds and dey doin de Fandango".

LOL...Whats your % of chilli to Hemp....?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
i was told about using aniseed by some "old boys" this spring, they certainly did well on it, the tincas seemed to like it.

terry m

Reaction score
I have always struggled to get a reasonable supply of aniseed concentrate, though I have not tried chemists - but I will now - thanks.

dave11

Reaction score
I hate additives. Hemp is Hemp and a maggot is a maggot (i even wished they had just stuck to white ones). It does not sit right with me to add something that is not naturally in it. But then i would be a hypocrite after my earlier post to try it.
I think that Hemp sends them high anyway and adding Chilli just makes them go more bonkers. Bonkers is bonkers but hey if it makes you feel good then it's fishing just enjoy it chilli sauce or aniseed balls...LOL:D