Being threatened?

steve_knight

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has come across this. Being threatened while fishing.
Today around 530pm I was fishing the Windsor Stretch of the Thames, just under the relief road, when a car bearing Polish plates pulled up and a man got out and approached me. In the exchange of words, he told me that I was in his spot and that he and his friends were going to get some bait and if I was still there when they returned they would throw all my stuff in the river. They drove off leaving me a little shaken and concerned.
I did pack up most of my things, and left just a rod out (dam if I was going to bait a swim for others). There were a few youths jumping from the relief road bridge in the water, and the local plod appeared. One of the policemen asked me if I’d seen which kids had jumped, I told him what happened and he told me that I’d not been the first to be approached, He also reassured me that for the time being the police would have a heavy presence in the area, due to complaints about the kids. I carried on fishing on my one rod. (Caught two 4 - 5lb Perch on the float with caster wrapped in a cheese ball (size 12 hook).
Up till I caught, I was seriously contemplating packing in fishing, and have already resolved in future to fish “private club” waters or lakes.
Just a little note guys and girls

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Was that on the Windsor side or Eton side?

The Eton side stretch was ours (TVAA and previously Salt Hill AS) until last year. Season tickets are available from an elderly gent for £100 or day tickets for £10, but you'd be a fool to part with anything. I think the Windsor side is free fishing, just up from the swimming pool/sports centre, but I may be wrong. Whatever, I bet our European friends don't have any more rights than you have anyway.

esox2914

Reaction score
I ended up being well done over by a foreigner, I was unhooking a pike at the time and he came down the bank and knee'ed me in the side of the head, my mate managed to punch him and push him in, while he was in the water I unhooked the pike and returned it, then he got out and kicked my several more times in the head, and ended up in hospital, the police caught him and let him off with a caution :mad:
I will never return to where it happened

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Today around 530pm I was fishing the Windsor Stretch of the Thames, just under the relief road, when a car bearing Polish plates pulled up and a man got out and approached me. In the exchange of words, he told me that I was in his spot and that he and his friends were going to get some bait and if I was still there when they returned they would throw all my stuff in the river. They drove off leaving me a little shaken and concerned.
I did pack up most of my things, and left just a rod out (dam if I was going to bait a swim for others). There were a few youths jumping from the relief road bridge in the water, and the local plod appeared. One of the policemen asked me if I’d seen which kids had jumped, I told him what happened and he told me that I’d not been the first to be approached, He also reassured me that for the time being the police would have a heavy presence in the area, due to complaints about the kids. I carried on fishing on my one rod. (Caught two 4 - 5lb Perch on the float with caster wrapped in a cheese ball (size 12 hook).
Up till I caught, I was seriously contemplating packing in fishing, and have already resolved in future to fish “private club” waters or lakes.

I think I'd risk life and limb if there were perch of that size to be caught (two 4-5lb perch).

noknot

Reaction score
I ended up being well done over by a foreigner, I was unhooking a pike at the time and he came down the bank and knee'ed me in the side of the head, my mate managed to punch him and push him in, while he was in the water I unhooked the pike and returned it, then he got out and kicked my several more times in the head, and ended up in hospital, the police caught him and let him off with a caution :mad:
A Caution!!!:eek:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
(Caught two 4 - 5lb Perch on the float with caster wrapped in a cheese ball (size 12 hook).

Sorry about your misfortune mate, but WTF is; "caster wrapped in a cheese ball", not a bait I've heard of before.

I've never had such an experience as yours, I usually carry a machete for clearing the bank, bit hard to explain when your fishing a concrete bank, but "Hey ho".

barbelboi

Reaction score
You'd be OK Del, just hit 'em with your scales - if they whack as heavy as they weigh you're safe:D.
Jerry

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Sorry about your misfortune mate, but WTF is; "caster wrapped in a cheese ball", not a bait I've heard of before.

I've never had such an experience as yours, I usually carry a machete for clearing the bank, bit hard to explain when your fishing a concrete bank, but "Hey ho".

Just what i was thinking :D cracking Perch by the way!

Some shocking stories here, our EE friends just keep taking the **** :mad: However some of our own lads can be just as bad, keep your wits about you and stay safe. Ive been fishing some dodgy inner city venues over the years (some cracking fish to be had) my best advice is to travel light and trust your gut instincts if it feels dodgy it probably is.

Ive been approached by some "rough" looking charactors in the past best just to be calm, confident and try and have a laugh and chat with them, you will be surprised how far a bit of friendly banter goes. Bit like dealing with wild animals if you act nervous/scared they will prey on it.

steve_knight

Reaction score
QUOTE]

A friend mentioned that Cheese was a good bait, so I had some processed cheese slices (you know the kind you put in burgers,) first I tried it on the hook, and on a hair line, but the cheese fell off, however with a caster threaded on the hook, and half a slice wrapped in a ball around the caster, the cheese stayed on the line whilst casting (don’t ask me why, just did. I figured if I lost the cheese I still had the Caster). Fishing on the Windsor side, on the other side of the bridge from the slipway, about two rod lengths out on a 4BB float with size 12 hook on a 3ft 4lb hook line. The cheese ball remained on the hook for three casts, on the third cast the first Perch took and gutted, the second perch was about 20 minutes later.

dave11

Reaction score

When he got out again where was your mate? You un hooked the pike while a guy who had kicked you in the head was in the water...?

The police let the man off with a caution after twice smashing you in the head and you ended up in hospital? Thats grounds for you to press charges and your mate that was grounds for the other guy to press charges against your mate....

OK....

skullsat

Reaction score
QUOTE]

A friend mentioned that Cheese was a good bait, so I had some processed cheese slices (you know the kind you put in burgers,) first I tried it on the hook, and on a hair line, but the cheese fell off, however with a caster threaded on the hook, and half a slice wrapped in a ball around the caster, the cheese stayed on the line whilst casting (don’t ask me why, just did. I figured if I lost the cheese I still had the Caster). Fishing on the Windsor side, on the other side of the bridge from the slipway, about two rod lengths out on a 4BB float with size 12 hook on a 3ft 4lb hook line. The cheese ball remained on the hook for three casts, on the third cast the first Perch took and gutted, the second perch was about 20 minutes later.[/QUO

I think the perch went after the bait thinking it's a small fish rather than the cheese flavor,try a small spinner next time,but after hearing about your misfortune i guess you'll never know,keep safe everyone

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fishing on the Windsor side, on the other side of the bridge from the slipway,
Yes, I know where you are. I'll be around there with me worms tomorrow night!!! ;)

It's Council land as far as I'm aware, if not then it's EA land - either way, no control on the fishing and no one can tell you to shift - unless a policeman or EA Bailiff.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Yeah right. It's the silly season - foxes nibbled my media-friendly posho-girlie ("Dad has a place in Oxfordshire - Where? Oh, Oxfordshire...") tootsies then munched the toddlers of an Underclass Couple across the tracks that friends of Daddy's bought, otters nibbled everything and the Immos all of the above and more. Oh, for G'S get a grip, FM readers. Bad as the Currant Bun, the Mogadishu Express and the Infamy, Infamy, Everybody's Got It in For Me Mail, and we know where THEY got us: if feeling the least bit aggrieved about the state of things and anything in your life, HATE (Hmm ... nice ... makes you feel s-o-o-o good, for all of five seconds).

Right. I think that's enough for a PB reappearance. Over to the knuckledraggers (Derbys-Peak District-South 'n' West Yorks, bits of the West and East Country and Recently Financially Arrived No-Class Southerners mostly) not to mention The Country's Gone To The Dogs ex-pat Trolls.

Self?

Gone.

Good luck, chaps. There is clearly more to a fishing website nowadays than mere fishing.

As I said a sec' ago - Gone.

Good luck.