Advice Needed

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I've just taken delivery of a second hand Peregrine GTI Barbel Rod. The previous owner did not tell me he had painted/tippexed the rod top white whichI do not like at all.

Can anyone tell me how best to remove it?

W

Wolfman Woody

"How do I get rid of a white painted rod top?

t.gif

"

I was going to say - just chuck it in the bin, but

If it's Tippex, petrol might bring it off or cellulose thinners. If it's paint, you might try a bit of scraping gently with the blade of a very sharp knife. Keep the blade at 90degrees to the rod.

E

EC

Don't scrape it, you risk splintering the carbon. Use a thinner of some kind. If it is tippex the thinner sold in stationers should work but I'd phone up a rod builder and ask them to recommend something.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Has your missus got any nail varnish remover,try a tiny bit .see what happens.

R

Robert Woods

Try gently rubbing with a plastic pan scrubber. I've used one on my Sluis quiver top to dull shiney finish.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Get some Tippex remover from a stationary shop. It wont damage the carbon , Then clean residue off with soapy water.

Ps , Where does the GTI come in on a rod, put some go faster tape on the tip once you have got the Tippex off.

Reaction score
Don't use thinners or nail varnish remover (acetone)- you will f up the laquer on the blank.

You should be able to scrape it with the edge of a plastic ruler as it will not have bonded to the glossy blank.

White spirit or meths may help and will not dislolve the laquer on the blank.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Nigel,

If it is simply Tipex the you should be able to just scrape it off with your thumbnail or a plastic rule, just as we do with depth marks on a pole section.

If it is actually white paint then I really would be inclined to contact the manufacturer to seek advice.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Lookingat it more closely, it looks like paint and seems pretty well set.I have e-mailed Roger McCourtney at Peregrine and will follow his advice. Thanks everyone.

Not what sure what the GTI stands for.Its a certain type of Harrison blank I think.Beats it been called a "Beastmaster" or some such nonsense!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Roger's advice was as follows but on the basis it was tippex.

"1. Scrape it off with a blade such as aStanley knife.

2. Rub it down with some wet n' dry to a smooth finish and re-coat with some decent paint. I use Humbrol acrylic model paint.

There might be a third option but must admit I have never had to try it myself. You could try steaming it off"

Graham/Balnkety , I would always touch leger with a tip like that so visual indication is not an issue.It just looks a bit of a mess to be honest on what is otherwise a beautifully built rod so ifI cannot get it off completely then option 2 above may be the way forward.

I'll let you know howI get on but thanks for your advice.

blankety blank

Reaction score
OK!

Rather ironic actually as i painted the tip on one of my barbel rods white last night (a job i had been meaning to get round to..)

Iknow that i ought to do more touch legering. If i fished a river with more than 5 barbel in it maybe i would do it more often!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"If i fished a river with more than 5 barbel in it maybe i would do it more often!"

...and you've already caught one of them!

Y

Yoggy [CSG]

Brilliant rod Nigel.

I have one, best Barbel rodI`ve owned.