bread bait

neil smith 2

Reaction score
ive heard people going on about using immitation bread bait. is it possibble to use real bread on a hair rig?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
The line would probably pull through, although you could try it.

Can't see anything wrong with straight hooking it though.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Get a cable tie small one and pull it down on it sel to form a 12mm diameter hole. Tie this to the hair on you knotless knot. Now take a loaf of white bread take of the crusts and roll the bread into a 12mm sausage. Now place the bread roll into the cable tie loop and fold the brad over into a sort of ball. Now with a stick mix of white bead crumbs on your hook lenth and a bread ball bait cast out to the waiting carp.

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Yes, using a bait screw or spiral on hair into strong crust. But it doesn't hold as well as just using the hook itself, doesn't stay on during the cast as well and doesn't seem to improve hook up. So yes, its possible, but pretty pointless....

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Icame across a situation on a very large park lake. The carp were hold up at range in a safe area. This areais an area were the mums and kid feed the ducks. The carp would just sit and wait and polish off all the left overs that sunk.

After the first months of the fishing season the carp refused to come out of this safe haven so to catch them you simply had to wait until the duck feeders had come and gone and the bird life had moved off and cast the bread rig into the feeding area. Simple bread does work very well actually. The rig I showed you casts and last on the hook. Sothe rig is not pointless

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Ian I wasn't having a dig at your rig, sure it works and its what the OP was asking for. Useful variant on the swiss roll / sausage roll rig and probably more stable.

Iwasjust queryingthe need to use a hair for bread at all... I've tried it but I don't find it improved hook up and I lost more hook baits falling off than direct hooking. Never had a problem with hooking up through a wet bread bait.

The one exception is when I was after really big river Bream a while past and used a bait screw on a hair as the centre of a ball of bread the size of a cricket ball (no kidding) which it would have been impossible to strike through. Made up of the centre of half a fresh 800g loaf squeezed together. It got through the plague of 5 and 6 lbers who couldn't swallow it whole and had enough 'spare' substance to resist the nipping attacks of smaller fish. Generally got swallowed whole after half an hour on the bottom, despite the size, you'd be amazed what they can get down. Just don't strike at <u>any</u> indication except the rod starting to depart from the rests..... everything else is just the little 'uns nipping at the ball and rolling it around.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Evan i did a session on the thames after some big barbel that huant a local strecth near me. I got plauged by 5-6lb bream until i put a 28mm pellet on the hair all was good for about 3 hours loads of plucks and knocks. Eventually the rod ripped off waking me from my slumbers (it was 3.00am) As i wound the fish in it becam apparent vey quickly it was not a barbel but a 7lb bream with a pellet firmly stuck in its gob LOL.