When do YOU start bait fishing for pike?

dave11

Reaction score
or perhaps you don't finish?
September is my month for a touch of pike and Zander :w

terry m

Reaction score
I start on October 1st without fail - I am going cold turkey already waiting for the piking. Carp, barbel, tench, chub are all good fine, but for me they don't come close to proper predator fishing.

Roll on October !!

esox2914

Reaction score
You will probably get many different answers from people all over the country, people in Scotland, Ireland and the lake district in general fish all year through, where as because I live in the fens I probable wont be getting the baits out for pike until September at the earliest, but if the weather is not right then I will wait until October. For zander I start right at the beginning of the season and fish through normally until September, I do occasionally pick up pike from time to time when zedding as it is unavoidable.

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't stop. If a pike is in my swim I put a live bait out and move the pike to another swim. At the moment the pike are taking the roach as you reel them in.

murv

Reaction score
Why do people only fish for Pike in the Winter? I rarely fish for Pike but have found them to be tail walking monsters in the Summer compared to the rather more dour Winter fish.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Why do people only fish for Pike in the Winter? I rarely fish for Pike but have found them to be tail walking monsters in the Summer compared to the rather more dour Winter fish.

What you say is very true, they do indeed fight like demons in the Summer. But, dependant on geographical location and type of venue, especially during a heatwave, it MAY not be in the best interest of the Pike to fish for them at that particular time. Oxygen debit being a major consideration, but the jury's still out on that. What I will say is that anyone who chooses to fish during these periods is to fish with heavy gear, in order that you may play them quickly and return them post haste.

murv

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that, I hadn't considered that aspect.
The few I've had appear to be relatively unfazed by capture, but I'll certainly bear in mind that it may be a risk

agamemnon

Reaction score
october 1st for bait fishing for pike. when ever ive caught pike in hot weather they seem to take an age to recover from the fight. i dont even spin for then in the summer as welfare is high on my checklists

dannytaylor

Reaction score
the last few october the 1sts have been unseasonably warm. Pike dont read the calendars. I didnt start piking last season until well into november. Judge the conditions and use your common sense, there are so many options within coarse fishing if conditions are not suitable for one species.

BarryC

Reaction score
Piking just does'nt feel right till theres a nip in the morning air.