New Hayes TV Series

terry m

Reaction score
I have been watching the new Matt Hayes TV series. Matt Hayes' 24 Hour Rod Race. I have to say I am a little disappointed, it lacks the chemistry that was so apparent when he worked with Mick Brown and the production is not the best. Fingers crossed it will improve during the series.

Anyone else watching?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have been watching the new Matt Hayes TV series. Matt Hayes' 24 Hour Rod Race. I have to say I am a little disappointed, it lacks the chemistry that was so apparent when he worked with Mick Brown and the production is not the best. Fingers crossed it will improve during the series.

Anyone else watching?

I have been watching , I loved the second one - a twenty off the top and a twenty off the bottom , I think he had 2 37 lbers.

I have no idea how difficult it was , my biggest carp being 10lb but I know a lot on here thought , that given the lake he fished , it wasn't as difficult as it was made out.

Better than most series though , but I agree the two other rod races with Mick were better.

The one at Furnace Mill though I would have thought it was hard not to catch 50lb of roach , though to be fair to Matt it was filmed in very late autumn.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Sky plussed em and have watched 5 out of 6. Pretty good, nicely filmed compared with alot of others. Missed browny though.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, I miss the chemistry with Brownie but it's good to have a coarse fishing series back on tv.
Jerry

guest61

Reaction score

Anyone else watching?

Yes I watched - overall I found the series very enjoyable.

It must be a difficult task getting a new show through production, finding the financing and getting it to air. He and his 'team' should be congratulated on doing this.

I was interesting that Preston / Korum were supplying Matts equipment for the programmes.

The 'hats' theme was a bit weird though..

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Yes I watched - overall I found the series very enjoyable.

It must be a difficult task getting a new show through production, finding the financing and getting it to air. He and his 'team' should be congratulated on doing this.

I was interesting that Preston / Korum were supplying Matts equipment for the programmes.

The 'hats' theme was a bit weird though..

yes fair bit of product placement going on there - welcome to the forum by the way :)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I thought that the format suffered a little in that normally only a couple of fish needed to be caught and once that was done then there wasn't a a lot of interest. The grayling one was particularly poor in that respect.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not watched the grayling one yet - for anyone that's interested Shed are repeating the whole series from 10am Sunday.
Jerry

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Not a lot of fishing in one hour of transmission time when you have taken out 4 advert breaks and forwarded through the recap of the previous parts (1,2,3),the recent one of Matt's in Mozambique was no better,out of one hour just about 35 minutes of actual program,but to be fair more and more programs are following this format just pad out 60 minutes & provide advertisers with four advert breaks.
I can remeber when 2 or 3 in one hour was the norm.

terry m

Reaction score
The point about the re-caps is a good one.

Why do we need a re-cap after every commercial break? It is not as though the content was that difficult to remember!!

guest61

Reaction score
Whilst I very much enjoyed the programmes – I didn’t think that they were perfect.

In content terms, angling technicalities were glossed over, as has been said, recapping after adverts was unnecessary, the shots of (very nice) landscapes was to my mind somewhat over played, product placement for Korum and Preston was laughable even the hotel on the banks of the Windrush seemed to ‘star’ in that particular episode.

It is debatable whether the challenges were much of a challenge – was the second stretch of the Test featured the same one as used in the Great Rod Race?

But they’re making TV programmes, those constructing and backing the shows know what they want to push and they think that they know what we want to watch.

For me Matt Hayes got it right with the original ‘Total fishing with.. .’ shows which had something for everyone and also didn’t take life too seriously.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Whilst I very much enjoyed the programmes – I didn’t think that they were perfect.

In content terms, angling technicalities were glossed over, as has been said, recapping after adverts was unnecessary, the shots of (very nice) landscapes was to my mind somewhat over played, product placement for Korum and Preston was laughable even the hotel on the banks of the Windrush seemed to ‘star’ in that particular episode.

It is debatable whether the challenges were much of a challenge – was the second stretch of the Test featured the same one as used in the Great Rod Race?

But they’re making TV programmes, those constructing and backing the shows know what they want to push and they think that they know what we want to watch.

For me Matt Hayes got it right with the original ‘Total fishing with.. .’ shows which had something for everyone and also didn’t take life too seriously.

yes I thought that about the second stretch of the test , agree with all the comments above but it makes me wonder , given all the trout that were coming out , how much is it to fish that river in the summer , maybe if you have to ask.....