Mozzie Avoidance - Help!

terry m

Reaction score
I have suffeered badly with vicious mosquito bites this summer, moreso than normal.

What do you guys use to stop these pesky critters from biting.

The roll on jungle formula stuff seems to work but I am paranoid about tainting my bait with the stuff.

What about some of the more unconventional methods? Do they really work?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Having fished for many years on Loch Lomond I can confirm that nothing works as well as Jungle Formula. One thing you might like to try is Skin so Soft moisturising cream. This does actually work as do some other moisturisers so it must be something in the formulation that mozzies don't like.

Mosquito repellants are funny things and you'll find that some work better for you than others and what works well on somebody else doesn't work for you. I don't know of any effective ones that don't smell though.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For some reason they don't like me, I rarely get bitten and even in the upper reaches of the Gambia river where everyone was getting bitten alive they ignored me.
Jerry
PS No smartar$e comments from the cheap seats please;)

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
No joke.....

Researchers believe that mosquitos hone in on the bodies 'chemical odours', and people that are under stress give off odours that mosquitos favour.

dave11

Reaction score
No joke.....

Researchers believe that mosquitos hone in on the bodies 'chemical odours', and people that are under stress give off odours that mosquitos favour.

So if the wife is with you or worse catching more than you your F****D:eek:

sagalout

Reaction score
I used to use any thing with DEET in it, but I tried Avon skin so soft spray on oil and it works just as well and is cheaper.

little oik

Reaction score
Forget all that poncy stuff. Garlic will do the job .Just use it in the cooking a bit more and Bobs your Auntie .Also it has other health benefits ,just make sure that your partner has it as well though.After a few meals the Garlic will start to permeate from the skin and the biters steer clear of it .It will take a bit of experimenting till you get the intake right though so look out for some weird looks .

terry m

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - the garlic solution is interesting, especially as I love the stuff. The theory on stress releasing odours is interesting too.

Has anyone heard of or tried a coil of something or other that you keep near you. Not sure what you do with it, but I seem to remember reading something about it - or am I finally going crackers!!

richiekelly

Reaction score
You may be talking about the green coils that can be lit and they smoulder giving off some type of fumes that are supposed to keep insects away, i have used them a long time ago and didnt find them particularly effective, they are available from campin stores.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's a spray mate.

Here you go, I think Superdrug stock it as well. There are different strengths I think but we took this stuff.

Last edited:

fluffchucker

Reaction score
Avon, Skin So Soft - works every time for me
Spray it on the underside of the peak of the baseball cap as well for longer protection

In & around the bivvy, Citronella candles or incense sticks
[They keep the smell of the socks at bay as well]

Barry Midgley

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - the garlic solution is interesting, especially as I love the stuff. The theory on stress releasing odours is interesting too.

Has anyone heard of or tried a coil of something or other that you keep near you. Not sure what you do with it, but I seem to remember reading something about it - or am I finally going crackers!!

Hi Terry the garlic answer is sound. I take garlic tablets two weeks before going abroad have done for years. works every time.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Terry,
After years of backpacking in the Highlands I can painfully confirm that nothing works for me, I must be that irresistible to the old Scottish midge (and those really nice horseflies) that they are willing to take a gamble and move in for an all out attack! Folk back home could never understand why I loved going back year after year when they saw the mess I came back in!

PS: The coils you mentioned are lit like a joss stick and smoulder away giving off a cent, but save you money mate, they don't really work and can be very dangerous when left unattended!

Michael Loveridge 2

Reaction score
Invitations will be going out shortly .... for my first Avon party ........ got eaten alive last night .
Prepared to try anything !!