The ABC of Fishing

W

Wolfman Woody

He had a brilliantly funny sense of humour though.

I wish they would reproduce his articles from Angler's Mail andpublish those as a book. And he was the producer of Anglia TV's Survival Series, if I remember. A very clever man.

Little dig - I wonder what people will say of Pole Fishing by Graham Marsden and Mark Wintle in 40 years time?

Graham who?

Ooops, they're saying that now /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Creeps out through back door /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of the writings of Colin Willock , Woody. I had forgotten how good his journalism was, and that the Mail in those days was quite a good read....if I remember correctly Clive Gammon also wrote some trenchant pieces.

Marsden and Wintle's work will be heralded as one of the classics........

I look very good in that new black hat that the extremely nice Mr. Marsden has sent me /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Indeed, a wonderful wonderful wonderful classic, a diamond of genius in its genre, a timeless pearl of wisdom for all for ever....

(my hat looks pretty cool too Posh ! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif)

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Mind you, looking at the photo on the front cover, you'd expect such pole experts to have a little more confidence in their likely efforts*.

(* No landing net.... no keepnet..... /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif? ? ?)

The Monk

Reaction score
I thought I had that one somewhere, I have The Anglers Encyclopeadia by Colin Willock (February 1963 reprint) Odhams, 25 shilings

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If you want a really fine example of Willock's work then 'Landscape with solitary figure' is the one to get.

Books like ABC of fishing get bought by non anglers as presents for ungrateful anglers.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class="quoteheader">Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

Little dig - I wonder what people will say of Pole Fishing by Graham Marsden and Mark Wintle in 40 years time?

Graham who?

Ooops, they're saying that now
big_smile_smiley.gif
wink_smiley.gif
</blockquote>

I didn't criticise Willock's writing, or even the originalABC book, only the bolt-on updates.

Graham who? I say it myself, can't remember my own name some days.

But in40 years, who cares what they'll be saying then. Jeez, I don't care that much what they say today
tongue_out_smiley.gif

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Evan the Welsh Windbag wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>No landing net.... </blockquote>

Oooops. I see said the blind man..... Landing net onthe ground to Wintle's left ". Must obtain stronger prescription glasses and be sure to look at the original book in future, not tiddly little jpeg's....

Mind you, I'm still not sure why a fisherman of Wintle's calibre should still be superstitious enough to take his lucky garden gnome along to the riverside !

Nice hats tho but boys !!!

Reaction score
Blimey I must be geting old...I quite forgot "Landscape with a Solitary Figure" - I remember reading it as a young'un ...would really like to read it again..I'll seee what I can find on abe's books and similar sites.

Thanks for jarring that synapse into action Mark.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Paul,

I had a browse of it last night. Interestingly I picked up on a phrase of his about roach having that blue sheen a good gun maker puts on a shotgun in the book which was written in 1965. I cut out an article in 1970 regarding a day on the test where the same phrase came out..

W

Wolfman Woody

"But in40 years, who cares what they'll be saying then. Jeez, I don't care that much what they say today/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif"

So, you're ready for stage 5 of your fame eh?

Stages-
  1. Who's Graham Marsden?
  2. Get me Graham Marsden
  3. Get me a Graham Marsden look-alike
  4. Get me a younger Graham Marsden
  5. Who the ****s Graham Marsden?

R

Roto Fryer

abcfish.jpg

I can't believe you lot! not one of you can get the guys name right its Colin Willcock!

I

Ian Cloke

<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I thought I had that one somewhere, I have The Anglers Encyclopeadia by Colin Willock (February 1963 reprint) Odhams, 25 shilings</blockquote>
Almost as cheap now Nick......£3.50 HERE