canal carping

thecrayfish

Reaction score
ccan anyone advise the best tactic to catch carp in a narrow canal (20yds) which is also full of crayfish.should i attack the far bank with reeds or overhanging trees? please help

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Depending on the amount of carp in the canal this should dictate how heavily to bait although at this time of year I'd er on the side of caution. Overhanging trees are a good bet if you can bait close to them and fish relativly strong.

I was told theres a crayfish problem where I fish although they don't seem to be too much of a problem, infact I've only had 3 in all the time I've fished it.

3 or bits of hair rigged sweetcorn or a halibut pellet on the method feeder have worked well for me and my Dad, also had around 50% of my fish on straight lead. Using a skinz pellet on the hook and baiting with skinz feed pellets. Although it probably doesn't matter what bait or method you use, just find the fish and feed correctly.

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

If its a real problem then you will already know that nothing on the bottom or even half way down in the water is viable.

Floating dog bic / floating bread crust / floating whatever and / or fishing up in the water with wag and mag at 12 inches or less depth, firing the old catty every other cast.... works for Chub, can't see why its not worth a bash for Carp.

N

Nathan Ball

Have you seen the new bait cages from enterprise? You can mash up soft baits and cram it into the cage which will help you to avoid the crayfish whilst still using soft baits. You can also fill them with pellets & all the over 'usual' carp baits.

DZ

Reaction score
lob an old mackeral (chopped so a pike dont take it straight away)20 yards upwind of where your fishing!

To locate canal carp - get hold of a ruddy big torch and go for a walk at night. Point the torch in all the likely looking spots and the carp stand out like a swimming pool in the desert! And weirdly they're never spooked by the light.