Britain head the olympic tables !!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It seems to me it is always the country's with the highest populations that top the medal table.

A medal table reflecting medals per population would be more relevant I think and would be a better guide to achievement. This is the present table taking into account population and medals won as a percentage...well done UK.

UK. --- 37.28
RUSSIA --- 16.083
U.S.A--------- 14.42
CHINA-------- 3.22

bennygesserit

Reaction score
It seems to me it is always the country's with the highest populations that top the medal table.

A medal table reflecting medals per population would be more relevant I think and would be a better guide to achievement. This is the present table taking into account population and medals won as a percentage...well done UK.

UK. --- 37.28
RUSSIA --- 16.083
U.S.A--------- 14.42
CHINA-------- 3.22

What about Lithuania ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
An interesting theory, can't see it catching on though.

I was watching the Olympics last night and you what Gary Linnikar said. "GB is way on top compared to population and medals". I almost missed it but, he said it. he must be reading my posts.

You never know Terry , it might catch on, it will do for me as an achievement table.

terry m

Reaction score
I kinda think that we have done so well using the normal measureing table that we really don't need to mess with it.

For those of a certain age, who on earth would have thought that GB would be so far ahead of Russia and for that matter Australia.

If we can end the games in P3 - which is realistically our best shot - then I think that will exceed most people's expectations.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I kinda think that we have done so well using the normal measureing table that we really don't need to mess with it.

For those of a certain age, who on earth would have thought that GB would be so far ahead of Russia and for that matter Australia.

If we can end the games in P3 - which is realistically our best shot - then I think that will exceed most people's expectations.

Yes i am of that age as well , remember Valerie Borzoff ?

There are some interesting articles on bbc about the mass selection process for Chinas athletes ,

terry m

Reaction score
Also don't forget the days of pre-unification East Germany where the toughest task was establ;ishing what gender many off the athletes were!!

They used to bag more than their fair share of medals.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
ha ha hence that old phrase she is built like an east German shot putter

barbelboi

Reaction score
Also don't forget the days of pre-unification East Germany where the toughest task was establ;ishing what gender many off the athletes were!!

They used to bag more than their fair share of medals.

Very true, I believe that after unification only one of the 'great' East German womens team was good enough to carry on competing in the 'lesser' German team - Heiki Dreksler (sp) - one dope free female athlete?
Jerry
PS The amount of of womens world athletic records set in the 80's by Eastern bloc athletes, and still standing, says something.

matthew barter

Reaction score
Good job Team GB and Northern Ireland. It could be said good job UK. I know that's not what the thread was started about but it seems to me that the worst thing done in an otherwise great effort from our country is not include some of our own country in our own teams title.

Getting back to thread, I tried to get a link but I am rubbish (I'm doing an NVQ 2 in 'puters so ask in a year) at tech.

More or less on radio four can be I playered.

It's not just about population but how much money.

Lithuiania have done well and this is probably because of the infrastructure put in place from the soviet era. However the athelete still had to train and win that medal.

We (the UK or team GB) have punched above our weight. The opening ceremony(and further organisation) was brilliant, our competitors have done themselves proud and the supporters are showing our best.

I was worried but I should have had more belief. We are having a great games as competitors and as citizens and watchers.

ps.it's not over the boxing finals could get us some more.

pps. This country should be proud when we do something right.

ppps. forgotten what the thread was about but I think you are right Mark.

dave11

Reaction score
The lottery funding has made a huge difference. I remember not so long ago where many of the GB team had to get money from joe public to get there. Remember Atlanta with our 1 gold medal!!

My only fear is that the last 8 years was a situation where the govt knew even before bejing that we had a chance in 2012 and groomed many athletes in 8 years to perform well in London with huge injections of lottery cash. You may say i am cynical and you may be right i guess we will see in 4/8 years time.:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
It, certainly appears to have made a notable difference. If you look at pre-lotto days I can't remember finishing in the top 10, apart from maybe the boycott years.
Jerry

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It, certainly appears to have made a notable difference. If you look at pre-lotto days I can't remember finishing in the top 10, apart from maybe the boycott years.
Jerry

Geofrey Boycott was never in the Olympics, he was a slow runner.
See what I did there, gets coat and leaves.