Why do fish roll?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have heard lots of stories from removing parasites (when they leap) and breaking up things that are on or near the surface or feeding on freshwater plankton which is rising up to the surface; which plankton does in the evening; which is why on some waters the surface is full of fish breaking the surface as dusk falls; but also maybe it's just because they simply like the sensation of pushing their bodies through the surface film into cooler or warmer air just like humans who like to have a cool dip in warm weather? who really knows?

There is usually more than one reason why anything happens so maybe everything above has some part to play in it?:

Last edited:

blounty65

Reaction score
its scientifically proven that they do it to take the micky out of us mugs on the bank trying to catch them....

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have got 5 koi carp in my garden pond who are over 15 years old, of the 5 there is one who breaks the surface, and he does it with style, usually when there is a hatch of fly.
It's not uncommon for 2/3rds of his body to be out of the water as he tail-walks backwards after the fly's.
There was also a swim on the middle Severn which had a barbel that would jump all the time, Back in the day when we used keepnets you knew if you had him as nothing left the water, then when you emptied the net at the end of the day he would be jumping again before you finished packing up.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They mainly seem to roll in hot weather so, has it got to be something to do with temperature? Do they get a fillip of oxygen when they do it? I thought of some benefit in change of air pressure but then they would do it all year round. It has to be linked to temperature in some way I would have thought.

barbelboi

Reaction score
They mainly seem to roll in hot weather so, has it got to be something to do with temperature? Do they get a fillip of oxygen when they do it? I thought of some benefit in change of air pressure but then they would do it all year round. It has to be linked to temperature in some way I would have thought.

Carp will sometimes roll in winter, especially at dusk. A useful sight as it means there are probably a few friends shoaled up beneath.
Jerry

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Carp are an all-water fish - feed anywhere. go anywhere - they would climb over the banks if they could (as they do if the water level rises). Often cruise with their back half-out of the water or launch themselves out for no apparent reason.

But i think the more enigmatic ones are the fish normally found at the bottom in deep water - like tench, bream, barbel.

The other week i watched a shoal of bream rolling around a duck and they followed it all around the corner of a lake. The duck was feeding on something on the water surface, but they were just doing their own thing next to it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That's a weird one Chub-B.... bream following a duck around. I imagine carp do roll in winter but, it has to be more common in the summer months or in warm water temperatures but, bream do seem to roll prior to spawning as well. I still think it has to be water temperature related in some way. Would fish be able to gulp oxygen from the air? Could their gills work in this way?

goonch

Reaction score
That's a weird one Chub-B.... bream following a duck around. I imagine carp do roll in winter but, it has to be more common in the summer months or in warm water temperatures but, bream do seem to roll prior to spawning as well. I still think it has to be water temperature related in some way. Would fish be able to gulp oxygen from the air? Could their gills work in this way?

Certainly in hot weather, and the low DO levels this brings, fish will swim at the top of the water gulping from the surface. Anyone who has kept fish will have noticed this.

bigdog78

Reaction score

Pretty sure fish can extract oxygen from air... providing their gills are wet, COTB should be able to confirm. My theory with bream following ducks would be that if the are fed regularly by people then it stands to reason that when it gets quieter towards the end of the day that maybe the ducks and at this point fish go round clearing up. The chub certainly do where i live , Lots of people throwing in bread. No fish , 1 hr later no people lots of fish and ducks feeding. Maybe we underestimate the intelligence of say an 8lb bream that could be 20 years old? im pretty sure it would become instinct after a while.