Why is it sometimes….

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

…. that when you land a fish the hook will come out of the fish's mouth after you have it safely in the landing net?
Is it the fact that once the fish is in the net the pressure is of the line as it goes slack, thus causing the hook to come loose from the fish's mouth?

kidfisher

Reaction score
Honestly I have had the hook come out the second the fish is in the net? But I just assumed it was, as you say, because the line had gone slack!

dave11

Reaction score
The hook can also get tangled in the mesh and pull the hook free

balalur

Reaction score
I would be more interested to know why the hook comes out of the fishes mouth just BEFORE you get it in the landing net!:confused:

goonch

Reaction score
I would be more interested to know why the hook comes out of the fishes mouth just BEFORE you get it in the landing net!:confused:

Only happens if you were a bad person in a previous life.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I was a kid it was a treat to go night fishing for eels with my cousins and their dad.
Any eels landed were invariably deep hooked and we would un-clip the trace and retain them in a covered bucket until we went home. The odd thing, and something I've never been able to work out, is how they nearly always managed to shed the hooks and we would find them in the bottom of the bucket.

goonch

Reaction score
That is still the recommended method of unhooking eels. Poking around with forceps and disgorgers will do them more damage. They can rid themselves of the hook pretty easily in most cases.