Fly vs lure!

madmatz

Reaction score
I have recently been looking at fly fishing for pike and reckon it could have the edge over lures my reason been the flys seem to be alot lighter and give of a more delicate presentation dont get me wrong here i aint even mastered lures yet let alone fly fishing but it does look interesting what do you lot think?
FLY V LURE

terry m

Reaction score
Strictly speaking a fly is a lure.

But in a straight competition I would be happier with a traditional lure any day of the week. There are also limitations imposed by the ability to cast properly with fly kit, either through skill or because of trees etc that would reduce the effectiveness of the fluff chucker.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Matt,
Tried the fly fishing approach, and had a modicum of success. But I had reservations and abandoned the idea. My opinion is, that the bog standard Baitcaster set up can't be beat for pike fishing. But others may disagree, and if they get a buzz from fly fishing for Pike despite its limitations, who could argue.

madmatz

Reaction score
supose its each to there own im just learning that its all about slow movment and not rushing the retrive but nowdays most the lures out there fall like lead weights and the fly seems so much more delicate and can be retrived a lot slower? anyway as allways lost to think about and consider theres one thing for sure you cant get bored!

dezza

Reaction score
There is an enormous difference between a lure, and an artificial that imitates or suggests what a predatory fish eats.

Both plugs, crankbaits and certain "flies" can be made to work like, and look like small fish for instance. There are some plugs that look like mice for example, and predators such as pike, I am sure, take these artificial baits for mice, just as they take many of the plastic baits which look and work like fish. They even feel like fish.

There are also some flies, Lefty's Deceiver for example, that look just like a small fish.

But some flies and some lures look like nothing on this earth. Yet fish take them; what they take them for I do not know, they are among the true lures. Flies such as blobs and Vivas are lures. Flies such as buzzers and daddy long legs are imitations of what a predatory fish eats in nature.

keora

Reaction score
If you intend to fly fish for pike, you need to decide if the waters you pike fish are suitable for fly fishing. I pike fish some Yorkshire rivers where the banks are often steep - usually about 10 ft from the top of the bank to the surface of the river. These steep banks aren't a problem when bait fishing or lure fishing, but using flies you can rarely make a high enough back cast to stop the fly snagging on the bank behind you.

rains

Reaction score
Strictly speaking a fly is a lure.

But in a straight competition I would be happier with a traditional lure any day of the week. There are also limitations imposed by the ability to cast properly with fly kit, either through skill or because of trees etc that would reduce the effectiveness of the fluff chucker.
Would just like to say that fluff chucker has give me the giggles lol would have to agree with the obstacles tho plus i just like my lures