Ambidex reels

jayne

Reaction score
Hi,

I have become interested in collecting Ambidex reels, but there isn`t a great deal of information to be found. I would like to know the year each type of reel was first manufactured, for how long and a rough guide to their spec.

Please could anyone help me with website links or any information at all.

Thankyou!

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Hi Jayne,

There is a webpage about Ambidex reels made by J W Young at the following address: http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/ambidex.htm

There is also a Medlar Press book coming out "soon" about this Company by Elwyn Attwood. This has been on the cards for ages and a friend of mine has been eagerly awaiting news of the actual date. If anyone knows when it will be out, he would love to know. The webpage still says November 2007, but that is obviously wrong ;o). J W Young made all the reels with "ex" suffixes ie Speedex, Altex, Rapidex etc. and those wonderful purist centrepins (and the John Wilson Heritage centrepin/Ray Walton Rolling pins etc.)

Good luck with your collection. Very well made reels - some of the early ambidex models had half bail-arms which seems very odd today. My friend still needs a mark 5 or 9 (I think?) to complete his collection, so if you get two and want a very good home for one....

Cheers,

Trev

jayne

Reaction score
Hi Trev,

Thanks very much for your response. Ihave seen the JW Young site, it`s very good but only deals with models 1,2 1FP 2FP, 3FP and 4. Although this is very informative, it doesn`t give years of first manufacture. The information comes from the 1959 JW Young catalogue.

Again, thanks for your interest, regards, Jayne

Elwyn Attwood

Reaction score
Hi,

I am Elwyn Attwood and am pleased to say I am the author of this long awaited book on JW Young and their reels (including a very comprehensive section on the Ambidex reel).

The book is now published and is available from myself (at willowpitch@blueyonder.co.uk) or direct from the publishers (Medlar Press).

I would welcome any (sensible) enquiries /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif)

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Thanks Elwyn,

I have passed this info on to my friend and I'm sure he will be ordering one soon. As my Dad would say, "If something's worth having... it's worth waiting for!".

Cheers,

Trev