New Knot?

Kim Gowney

Reaction score
This is a knot that my father showed me years ago and I have used without problem since.

I think it is a very old knot, I have certainly never seen it illustrated anywhere before

and do not know if it is even known or has a name.

It is very quick to tie once you get the hang of it, and in tests the line breaks before the

knot gives out so I guess it may not be strangling the line.

It's main drawback is that it needs a 3mm or greater tag left on the free end, it will not slip then.

But it cannot be clipped tight to the knot.

I would be interested in any other members findings, results etc on this knot and whether anyone felt it

might be a good alternative to currently used knots, or conversely, reasons to avoid it.

Here is a diagram:
knot-comp.jpg

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Looks a bit complicated and with the large tag. Can not see any benifits over a grinner or polymer that i use.

Kim Gowney

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Byan, /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

It's main benefit is the speed you can tie it, once you get the hang of it, it is far easier to tie than either the Grinner (a tough knot to do correctly) or the Palomar, though the Palomar is not a difficult knot I'll grant.

It may look complex, but actually is very easy.

L

Laurie Harper

Interesting - looks a bit like the old "Turle" knot - but I agree with Bryan. A grinner is easy to tie quickly with a bit of practice and doesn't seem to cut into/strangle the line. It also works very well with braid (Kryston recommend it). It's worth spending the time practicing tying it, I reckon.

W

Wolfman Woody

IS this the Grinner knot you mean Kim?

It's the one I use and I find it so easy to tie that it's the one knot I can tie in almost complete darkness.

There is some confusion about knots and their names though and this version is the sea version. I think it's a bit of a waste of time, they say twist the line first before tying the knot, but you would see that when they come to tighten the knot, the twist come out almost completely.

Yours looks interesting though, I must have a play with it.

Kim Gowney

Reaction score
Yes that's the one Woody, Like all knots I suppose, once you get completely used to it then it is easy, But I find the grinner a tricky knot and slow, mainly because I have only just started to use it.

Do have a try at the knot though, just to see how you get on with it, that's my main interest, I am not trying to persuade

anyone to switch from their favourite knot, just to see what you think of this one, just for interests sake.

Y

Yoggy [CSG]

Kim, I`ve seen this knot used somewhere before but for the life of me cannot remember what its called?.

I `ll have a dabble and see how I get on.

These days I use the palomar for most of my fishing. Simple to tie and has NEVER let me down.