is this right????

neil smith 2

Reaction score
hi all. i watched i fishing programme last night where they were using chick peas cooked in a spicy curry sauce on a hair. they were fishing one of the carp lakes in france. has any one got any experiences of using chickpeas over here in england?

martin73

Reaction score
I have tried chick pea a couple of times (in uk)and havn't had much luck really.

The first timeI tried them was straight from the tin ~ No luck

The second time I part boiled them with some oyster essence then dried them out under vacuum at 40degreesC until they were kinda rubbery and hair fixable. The outcome ~ No luck.

I certainly think the chick pea will catch Mr Carpoid, I have heard a number of guys on the bank speaking highly of them, but for me, havn't caught anything on them yet.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I used them years ago at Horsehoe in the middle of a very cold winter and the Carp loved em, i coloured them blue if i remember rightly, they take on colour well,good bait. Soak for couple of days then boil for about 20 mins.

N

Nathan Ball

I had my PB carp last year while using chick peas. I baited a spot every few days for a couple of weeks and on a few occasions the carp were already there looking for food! I even saw one 'up tail' and start gorging on the chick peas i'donly put in 5 minutes before. I had a few larger bream on the peas as well.

B

Bully

First bait in my bag when going for carp or tench. And frankly I have had best success without flavouring them, they have an excellent natural flavour.

Also a good bait for barbel.

N

Nathan Ball

They sink but you need to saok for 24hrs then boil for 30mins before using them (unless they're already prepared)

neil smith 2

Reaction score
if im fishing over weed how can i turn them into a pop up? could i use a tutty fruity fluro pop up with chick pea on a snowman rig, or are these too different/

N

Nathan Ball

Something i've tried is to add some CSL to the chick peas while their soaking so that they absorb the flavour. I then feed these with sweetcorn and ifyou want a pop-up presentation you can add one or two pieces of artificial corn on top of the chick pea. You could use a pop up but i'd trim it down as it will dwarf you chick pea. The Monster Tiger Nut pop-ups from Dynamite might be the key as they have a similar colour to chick peas & it will make it harder for the ish to single out your hookbnait.

N

Nathan Ball

Do you want me to com over and catch the fish for you?! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

For ground bait i'd just knock up a simple crumb with some blitzed chick peas. When they're mashed up the fish will create a cloud of attraction as they feed on your bait which will hopefully make them easier to catch. Add a few bits of sweetcorn and maybe a small handful of pellets if you want to keep them in the area.

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

They work very well indeed, particularly if pre-baited.

However a word of caution on cooking: they have to be soaked at least 12 hours / overnight, and then, like most dried legumes (red kidney beans especially) they need to be brought to a strong rolling boil in a change of fresh cold water. Then continue with a strong rolling boil <u>for not less than ten minutes</u>, preferably twenty minutes to half an hour.

This de-natures a chemical or bacteria or something (go google if you want to know the detail) within the bean that is otherwise harmful, can give us humans a stomach ache and I know not what to fish.

Then turn down and simmer gently for a further good thirty minutes to an hour. Add any CSL or flavourings at this point if you want to use them.

When cooked they are delicious ! Makes a lovely curry (fry onions, add chickpeas, fine cut up peppers and a couple of tablespoons of the Patak's paste of your choice + a little of the cooking water, cover and simmer for twenty minutes.... yummy) or, if you blitz it with a little Tahini (or peanut butter + a drop or two of sessame oil if you can't get Tahini), garlic clove, lemon juice and olive oil to taste + a little more of the cooking water to loosen it up to the right texture: Voila, half a pound of homous for roughly 40p instead of the quid an ounce the supermarkets will cheerfully charge you...

Anyway, I have diverted.... for fishing use leave to cool in the cooking water as you do with hemp and tiger nuts. Similarly it will go all thick and gloopy and 'mature' a little as the starch and sugars that have come out of the chick peas do their stuff. This liquid is then a brilliant base for mixing up yr groundbait / Vitalin mix, to which add the good old chickpeas. Or you can just feed them in direct, makes a great addition to a carpet of feed and with two on a hair, Bob's your unfeasibly close relative. Works like a charm once the fish have become familiar with them. And like rice it will take on any flavouring or colouring you add to them very well indeed.

neil smith 2

Reaction score
mmm.....mmm....mmm sounds nice. guess u could cook that up while fishing if u prepare it !!!!!!

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

PS. You can side hook them but if they've been cooked properly then they will / should be soft enough not to stay on the hook well; if they do stay on the hook then they probably haven't been cooked enough..... Use a very fine baiting needle and go through gently from the side with rotation to put on a hair, but be prepared to put up with quite a few splitting.

Oh, and Tench like them. A lot..... I tend to wrap them with some light paste as a heavy lump for the lift method, then as they nibble away the outside wrapping it gets more and more sensitive until.... hopefully !

B

Bully

.....or just buy a can of waitrose pre-cooked. If I did flavour maple is tops.

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Hmmm Waitrose pre-cooked.... that's how much, 220 grammes (total can weight, actual chick peas net of liquid 180 grammes) for 80 p ?

Or 500 grammes dry / 1 - 1.25 kg after soaked and cooked. For the self same 80 p.

I think I'll stick to Welsh economy myself.

Or can I perhaps sell you some of my ready prepared 'active' chickpeas.... Only £2.99 for 500 grammes. Plus post, obviously....

N

Nathan Ball

I get my chick peasat £2 for 2kg!! Just try a few local food shops - they usually have them in there along with a whole host of other goodies.