Fry Fish

The Monk

Reaction score
I`m interested in the distrobution stats for fry fish, anyone have any information or located any

Minnow, gudgeon, bullhead, stone loach, bitterling, stickleback (9-spine only) ruffe, spined loach and bleak

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Gudgeon aye aye, ready and present Sir; river Wey, Guildford and the Fisheries, Cranleigh, Surrey....

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Plus loads and loads and loads of newts in the local Cranleigh ponds..... !

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Minnow: thriving populations all along the middle and lower reaches of the Hampshire Avon Nick.

Mind you, that is usually a good indicator of a healthy river, but why do they have to be such greedy little beggars!

Gudgeon: Quite a few in the K & A Canal around Devizes.

Bleak: Sadly not too many around my part of the world, but the Thames still has quite a few, so I'm told.

Ruffe: Used to be there by the million at Hampton Court Bridge on the Thames, not seen any for a good few years though.

"Any giant salamanders ?"

Ed,

Surrey is way too Posh for Salamanders, I'd have thought, right Evan?

They would probably have all kinds of other exotic species though.

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Not seen any of the super special european protected rare as rare as rare great crested newtsyet.... but I do keep looking every now and then.

I was surprised just how many newts we do have, but these are proper dew ponds only six inches or so deep and whichdry out from time to time, eliminating the odd abandoned baby Koi (this is surrey my dear, no fairground goldfish here*; standards.... /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif) so no predation on the spring spawning and summer development of the newts. And kids these days have better things to do than go netting with jamjars... *sigh*

* Actually we have two Goldfishin our Fisheries lake, one of about 2 1/2 lbs which I've had in the net and one of over 4 1/2 which I have hooked but not landed. And a lot of our new small crucians coming along seem to be a wee bit more 'goldy' looking along the flanks these days.... hmmmm. Suckers for a lump of bread or paste... quite startling when this great golden lump heaves up out of the depths and crashes down on a piece of floating crust, bullying the other fish to one side !

The Monk

Reaction score
Great Crested newts are regionally rare not nationally rare/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I

Ian Cloke

Minnow, gudgeon are frequently caught in the River Rother (Treeton, Catcliffe stretch) There used to be quite a few bullheads in Treeton Dyke, but not seen one for many years.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

see rake loads of minnows in the river lea at hertford at the weekend.and cought 3 -3 spined stickles from a local pond and plenty gudgeon too there thriving here.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hants Avon:minnow, bullhead, stone loach, bleak below Weir on Royaltyonly, gudgeon, NO ruffe.

Dorset Stour: minnow, bullhead, stone loach, bleak below Wimborne only, gudgeon, NO ruffe.

Dorset Frome:minnow, bullhead, stone loach,gudgeon, NO ruffe, NO bleak.

Dorset Piddle: minnow, bullhead, stone loach,NO gudgeon, NO ruffe, NO bleak.