Newbie After Some Tackle Advice Please!

52yotiddler

Reaction score
For my 52nd birthday yesterday I received a John Wilson Six Shooter travel rod and "matching" Rovex baitcaster reel.

This was more unexpected and amazing than you can imagine, not least because I haven't fished seriously for 35+ years!

So could anyone please steer me a bit on line (braid?) and lures? I want to fish for perch in my local bit of the Thames (anywhere between Richmond and Hampton Court) and right now I just want to catch something, whatever the size!

I was very taken with this vid
Lure fishing for Perch | Sky Sports | Video | Shows | Tight Lines
because it's so near where I live.

So, rod and reel aside, is that the sort of thing I need?

Many thanks in advance!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I can`t help with your question but I`m sure someone else who can will be along soon, but welcome to FM.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Choose a braid, (Power Pro's a good one) that will balance up with the rod, and the lures you expect to use. Many Perch anglers swear by ''Ondex'' spinners, amongst others. Also try small alphabet plugs, typically Midi S, even the Big S, there are lots of small plugs to choose from.
Ask your local tackle dealer about those lure types, and ask if he can supply you with Spinnerbaits.
Don't forget there may be a possibility of Pike too, so best to employ a wire trace to avoid ''bite offs''.
Hope this helps, and please let us know how you get on.

52yotiddler

Reaction score
Thanks Chaps, good to be here!

So, PowerPro it is. It seems that Fluorocarbon or mono between the braid and trace is (favoured by some but) not necessary?

Could somebody please recommend a reliable brand of ready-made trace? I'm presuming a swivel on one end and a clip on t'other.

Finally . . . wot knot do I need to tie the braid to the swivel?

Thanks again!

52yotiddler

Reaction score
Thanks all!

While we're at it, can anyone please recommend a good, friendly local tackle shop in West London.

I very much believe in supporting local retailers wherever possible, but based on initial attempts, to say that some of these businesses aren't exactly doing themselves any favours would be an understatement.

In particular, I'd love to find a shop which doesn't think that lightweight lure fishing is, to quote one proprietor, "a l0ad 0f b0ll0cks mate."

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks all!

While we're at it, can anyone please recommend a good, friendly local tackle shop in West London.

I very much believe in supporting local retailers wherever possible, but based on initial attempts, to say that some of these businesses aren't exactly doing themselves any favours would be an understatement.

In particular, I'd love to find a shop which doesn't think that lightweight lure fishing is, to quote one proprietor, "a l0ad 0f b0ll0cks mate."

What part of West London?
Jerry

52yotiddler

Reaction score
Twickenham, but happy to travel a fair distance for a nice shop.

Not too bothered about price either - i.e. I'm happy to pay normal local shop prices and won't demand price-matching with online retailers!

Cheers

barbelboi

Reaction score
Twickenham, but happy to travel a fair distance for a nice shop.

Not too bothered about price either - i.e. I'm happy to pay normal local shop prices and won't demand price-matching with online retailers!

Cheers

I'm not that familiar with the shops close to you but I used Tackle Exchange, Walton on Thames, a couple of times a few years ago when in the area and they seemed quite well stocked and helpful. Might be worth a look.

If you don't mind travelling about 30 miles further west this is my local and would certainly recommend it. A family run business in the village of Harefield on the edge of the Colne Valley with a good stock level on two floors.
Jerry
Harefield Tackle - Online fishing tackle shop for bait, tackle and luggage

52yotiddler

Reaction score
Cheers Jerry

so I diligently visited the remaining four on my list of ten "local" tackle shops this morning, and found another (the third out of ten) had gone out of business.

Two others were pretty unhelpful again, but guess what? The Tackle Exchange in Walton were absolutely brilliant! Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and unpushy. Must've spent 30+ minutes talking to me, and apologised that they didn't have exactly what they thought I needed.

They absolutely didn't try to foist on me what they did have in, and the result is that I'll be going back on Monday to order a Greys G-Lite 6' spinning rod and size 1000 Exage fixed spool, plus braid/mono, traces and the odd lure.

So many thanks for the recommendation and well done The Tackle Exchange!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Cheers Jerry

so I diligently visited the remaining four on my list of ten "local" tackle shops this morning, and found another (the third out of ten) had gone out of business.

Two others were pretty unhelpful again, but guess what? The Tackle Exchange in Walton were absolutely brilliant! Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and unpushy. Must've spent 30+ minutes talking to me, and apologised that they didn't have exactly what they thought I needed.

They absolutely didn't try to foist on me what they did have in, and the result is that I'll be going back on Monday to order a Greys G-Lite 6' spinning rod and size 1000 Exage fixed spool, plus braid/mono, traces and the odd lure.

So many thanks for the recommendation and well done The Tackle Exchange!

Glad I could help a bit.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Power pro is superb stuff and I swear by it ;)
have a look on the Harris Sportsmail website, Power pro is really cheap and their lure selection is superb...almost all the gear is post free :)

Hope that helps mate and welcome to FM :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Don't forget to buy a licence if you haven't done so already.

It's nice to see that good service is rewarded. I've had some pretty poor service myself recently and some surprisingly good. I have spent about a thousand pounds on tackle so far this year, one shop told me incorrectly that the fishing suit I wanted was no longer made and tried to flog me something else and two other items I wanted were incorrectly priced on their website, their loss.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't forget to buy a licence if you haven't done so already.

It's nice to see that good service is rewarded. I've had some pretty poor service myself recently and some surprisingly good. I have spent about a thousand pounds on tackle so far this year, one shop told me incorrectly that the fishing suit I wanted was no longer made and tried to flog me something else and two other items I wanted were incorrectly priced on their website, their loss.

Try Billy Clarkes of Sheffield Ray, there is a reason that they are the only tackle shop left in the City centre...The customer service is superb...Every little helps :)

52yotiddler

Reaction score
Thanks!

Rovex baitcasting combo has gone back to the online shop, and the Greys G-Lite 6' is ordered from The Tackle Exchange!

The EA rod licence arrived today, about which, may I ask a really stupid question?

The licence is for two rods, is that two rods both only to be used by me, or (if I had two) could the missus or one of the kids use one while I fished with the other?

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks!

Rovex baitcasting combo has gone back to the online shop, and the Greys G-Lite 6' is ordered from The Tackle Exchange!

The EA rod licence arrived today, about which, may I ask a really stupid question?

The licence is for two rods, is that two rods both only to be used by me, or (if I had two) could the missus or one of the kids use one while I fished with the other?

Sorry mate only those named on the licence can use two rods.