In the presence of one of the greats

dezza

Reaction score
On the way home from Berkshire, after myself and fellow angling author Chris Quinn had attended the launch of "Angling Encounters", we called in to see angling legend Fred Buller MBE, at his Buckinghamshire home.

Fred had also contributed a chapter to this book, a chapter where he describes the story and sequel of the loss of a very big pike on Loch Lomond.

Quite honestly I could have chatted with Fred for the rest of that day, and the next. Between Fred, myself and Chris we covered a vast range of subjects in the short time we were there.

But the comment that impressed me most after I finished talking fly fishing for species other than trout, was when Fred said that I was an all-rounder, and that all-round anglers are the best sort of anglers!

I really felt proud about that!

Fred is in his mid eighties and looks well for his age. I look forward to meeting him again.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
I hope you told him he was in the presence of one of the greats. :D
Sounds like an very enjoyable meeting.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What did you use for a trumpet before you had Fishing Magic?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron must have been well hidden! I was at the book event close on 4 hours, did get to speak to Chris Quinn but no sign of Ron....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ron must have been well hidden! I was at the book event close on 4 hours, did get to speak to Chris Quinn but no sign of Ron....

Better go to spec savers Mark, he never moved from his book signing seat for the one and a half hours I was there.:)
Jerry
PS That was only a couple down from Chris

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The turnout was pretty good, better than the last couple I've been to. I fished the Thames for 4 hours in the morning after leaving home before 6am so by the time I got there it was after 1pm and I had to park down the lane away from the pub as the car park was full. I wasn't bothered about getting the book signed so only popped into the 'signing area' briefly to buy a copy and also later to find Alan Rawden who was coming out anyway. I spent most of my time talking to people out in the fresh air. I was blurry-eyed and with vari-focals (from Specsavers!) unless I look down properly don't always see clearly if someone is seated and I am standing.

dezza

Reaction score
Better go to spec savers Mark, he never moved from his book signing seat for the one and a half hours I was there.
Jerry
PS That was only a couple down from Chris

As you are aware Jerry I was sitting next to Len Arbery who was sitting next to Chris Ball.

From about 12.00 noon we were inundated with people desiring signatures for their books. Not just "Angling Encounters" either but "Our Days with ****", "A History of Carp Fishing" and several Barbel Society publications figured very strongly. I and several others were still signing books at 4 in the afternoon.

I actually wanted to catch a few old friends who were there, but I couldn't get away from my station.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I had every good intention of going to the extent that I even called for Frank at 10 to 1, but he was still having luncheon and said he'd meet me there. I got the roundabout at the end of his road meaning to turn right to head for Twyford and the thought of a crowded pub and parkign a mile away didn't appeal so I drove straight around the roundabout and headed home. Did some fishing later.

So sorry Ron, pubs are not for me, escpecially crowded ones where people have to raise their voices to 105 decibels to be heard.

Frank did go, but says he didn't see you. He only stayed just over a hour and spent some of that looking for me and some signing a few books himself. I'd have liked to have met Len Arbery as I know his niece's husband and I admire Len's style of fishing.

I've often wondered why these does aren't held at our gaff, but at £4.90 for a bottle of beer I guess it's asking too much of the poorer classes.... :p :p :p ;) :rolleyes: :D

redfin123

Reaction score
But the comment that impressed me most after I finished talking fly fishing for species other than trout, was when Fred said that I was an all-rounder, and that all-round anglers are the best sort of anglers!

I really felt proud about that!
You also play a good tune on the trumpet ron.

cg74

Reaction score
And you are.................(apart from being an annoyance)

LMFAO (again), being an annoyance is what I am (in your humble opinion), not who I am. In answer to your question; I am Colin Gordon.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

I was also there today signing books............

Until security caught me and threw me out.

You're popular then.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

You also play a good tune on the trumpet ron.

You are a bad bu**er (not saying you're wrong though).

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
So you're Colin Gordon.................and, you are ???

You continually deride someone who has been VERY well known in the angling world for several decades, who features in books from 30/40 years ago, fishing with some of the 'greats' of angling. Who you 'perceive' as a 'Billy no Name', I perceive as an innovator, a thinking angler, and someone who is prepared to pass on little gems of information for those who's eyes are open, sorry, whose eyes and minds are open.

dezza

Reaction score

Fred Buller MBE is indeed a great angler, angling historian and angling writer. His books - "Pike" and "The Domesday Book of Monster Pike" are regarded as standard works. He is also a pioneer in modern pike angling techniques, along with Ray Webb, Barrie Rickards and Derek Gibson of Sheffield.

Last edited: