Is this the best value for money

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I am referring of course to the Nikon D300 digital camera which I have just acquired having seen Graham's, and after they had come down in price somewhat.

Having spent some time playing with it, I can only say that this is a true photographer's camera. There are no programme modes either on this truly professional bit of kit. In true Nikon style it is built like the proverbial brick s***house and will certainly last me the rest of my life. I have always wanted a professional quality camera so see out my old age, and this is it.

Look out for some pictures from me when my new broadband is installed.

The Monk

Reaction score
a brilliant camera and nice to see they have gone back to the larger sized card, not got mine yet mate, but I`m working on it, anyone want to buy a F5/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Ron, I only want to ask - WHY?

That's over £1000 worth of camera my calcs are right. If I had the money I don't think I could justify it for the few shots I take. I think less than 200 a month, say 50 per week, is just average use and for that I don't think it's worth having one.

Graham I can understand, it's part of his job. The Monk's scatty anyway, anyone who wants to waste good money on a Jem guitar has to be, but he does use his cameras for his wedding work and stuff. I'm sorry mate, but I really don't see you wearing out a set of batteries in it.

It's your choice at the end of the day, but isn't there more important things for you to be buying - like a half decent car and scrap old Rose?

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I'd like a Ferrari or a Lambo, but they're an absolute waste of space on British roads. So I would consider one even if I came up trumps on the Lotto tomoorow. (might buy a DB9 though) Yes, these things are nice and well made and all, but you can't always justify their purchase.

Still, you've done it now so let's see the results /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Deanos

Reaction score
Don't listen to them Ron...you spend your money on what you want.

My auntie Kathleen has done a bit of modeling in the past for "Pig Breeders Monthly" and a catalogue for a creosote and paint stripper firm.

If you want, and for a small fee, I can get her over, and you can get a few shots of her on FM with her tattoos, and with her big hooters out!

Deanos

Reaction score
Oh dont start him off for gawds sake Christian!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
You lucky git Ron.

only jeolousy talking /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gifare you selling your old one.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What you lot don't realise is that the money for the camera has come off my tax bill for this year so really it's cost me next to nowt.

Another this you don't realise is that photography is my other passion and always has been, and the D300 is a creative photographers dream. It's my life and it's my retirement. I made up my mind as I sat in hospital and re-hab recently that I am going to do as much as possible with what time I have left.

And photography is far more than trophy shots of anglers holding fish.

F

Fred Bonney

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifNot only that, he'staking itout ofInheritance Tax!/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't take what I am saying entirely the wrong way, Ron. I did say - "It's your choice at the end of the day,"

All that I would point out to you is that in another thread the other day you criticised people who buy really expensive record decks and amplifiers so they can pickout someone farting amongst the second violins (or words to that effect) and you questioned the need for it.

Photography might be your passion, so to speak, but how far do you intend taking it? What can you achieve with a £1000 (and more with lenses) camera that you couldn't equally achieve with a very much cheaper model with a fixed and often excellent quality lens? Some of these you can now get for less than £200 complete and 10-1 zoom lenses with macro, and full manual chucked in.

I have a cheap little Nikon zoom film camera, not digital, and I'll wager I can take better compositions with that than a lot of these people (take a look on ThinkCamera) with their very expensive digital IchyFanny cameras. That's where the skill lies - in compsition. A bit like musical instruments, give a Stradivarius to a fool and it will still sound crap.

----------------------------

Now, the DB9. In a word - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
"The Monk's scatty anyway, anyone who wants to waste good money on a Jem guitar has to be"

blasphemy/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The D300 is a good camera for the money, I couldnt justify £.1K on a D3, althopugh it would be good for my street cred, the think with the D300 is it says D300 in big letters on the strap, the the Nikon letters on the front of the camera are slightly bigger than the D200 letters, with the D300 you can stand next to people with D200s and look down at them, especially if you are on a hill/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

For you, Monk, that last paragraph says it all.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

You can get them gold plated too now, for just £300 more!

The Monk

Reaction score
Actually a mate of mine has a Mamaya gold platted aniversary job complete with gold plated back, thats real posing gear

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I think there is a much simpler answer to why anyone should pay for the best they can afford, whether it be cameras, amps or fishing tackle. It's not a case of how good you can be with it, or if something cheaper canachieve more or less the same thing, but just how muchenjoyment you get out of usingit.

Not everything you buy has to match the best practical application you can put it to. If that was the case then there would be a hell of a lot fewer Chelsea tractors sold as most of those that are sold have never seen eithermud or grass unless one of the wheels slipped off the drive and onto the lawn.

It's all about how much you're prepared to pay for fun and enjoyment, and if you can put it to good practical use as well then you're blown in.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is also something else I have not mentioned.

5months ago I gave up smoking. Some time ago I read a piece on giving up smoking that is oh so true. It said that one, after a certain period of time without the weed, must go out and treat oneself to something of roughly the same value that one would have seen go up in smoke.

This is also the reason for the camera. I now have something to show for the money spent, instead of a hacking cough, and perhaps a wooden overcoat!

Wise words Graham by the way. There is also something called pride in ownership.

W

Wolfman Woody

"there would be a hell of a lot fewer Chelsea tractors sold"

And that, Graham, wouldn't be a bad thing at all. For their "fun and enjoyment" in future, in London at least, it's going to cost them £25 a day now!

So Ron, you'll forgive the chap that spends over £1000 on a decent record deck because it wasn;t about hearing the 2nd violins, but more about "pride in ownership"? Or what about those that buy "gas guzzler cars", perhaps, because they are built better and give their owners a "pride in ownership"?

Well done on the giving up smoking.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I think someone once said "If you've got it, flaunt it" Why not acquire things that one covets. I cannot see anything wrong with that, so long as no-one else suffers as a consequence.

I look forward to seeing some of Ron's pictures in the future.

The Monk

Reaction score
"If you've got it, flaunt it"

yes well said Colin

who needs a sock shoved down your pants when you`re on stage/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Over £1,000 on a deck!

I knew someone who spent the equivalent of £5,000 on a pair of woofers and tweeters!