Are HNV baits just for carp?

laguna

Reaction score
I think its fair to say, that although carp will in time become attuned to almost anything edible thrown at them, their preference for a quality bait generally results in bigger and better catches.

What about using man made HNV baits when targeting barbel, chub, bream and tench as opposed to using naturals or boring old skrettings?

I look forward to your opinions and experiences on the subject.

Many thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are plenty of folks using HNV baits for barbel and catching their fair share of chub and bream. There are also plenty of carpers catching more than their share of "nuisance" tench and bream.

Over the past few years I've been using a boilie meant specifically for barbel. It works well enough on the Swale (a lot less so on the Trent) and the chub love it just as much, if not more.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that any man-made bait can specifically target one species and one species only.

I've caught Barbel, Chub, Tench and Bream on "Carp" baits.

Simon K

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that any man-made bait can specifically target one species and one species only.

I've caught Barbel, Chub, Tench and Bream on "Carp" baits.

...............and pike, eel, roach and gudgeon...................all on static boilie.

laguna

Reaction score

You are probably right there Peter, I think its more a matter of the flavour profile (and correct presentation) preferred by a particular species that catches them on a given day/venue, irrespective of being HNV or not.

I think its also true that most will and do eat anything at some point or other given the "correct/preferred flavour" (factoring in all the many variables). But there is little doubt these days that a bait consisting of higher quality ingredients will out-perform others in the long run and least likely to blow.

Specimen fish (big old ones especially), are definitely old enough and wise enough for example to avoid artificial flavours and additives and will actively and selectively seek out, (given the choice), those baits with a higher amino acid profile.

Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

There are plenty of folks using HNV baits for barbel and catching their fair share of chub and bream. There are also plenty of carpers catching more than their share of "nuisance" tench and bream.

Last season I was targeting 1 of 3 known catfish in a lake using raw liver in stocking mesh on a size 4 hook while my colleague was targeting carp using a HNV boilie on a hair.
Result was that he caught a cat of some 32lb using the boilie and I caught a decent but disappointing 16lb common!