Chub - silver, sport or game?

laguna

Reaction score
The illustrious European Chub are classified as a 'silver' fish by some of my fishing buddies but I don't agree.

Chub are my favourite river species and I hold them in the highest regard likening them to a sport fish more than a silver, having renowned cunning and fighting abilities, illustrious qualities and eminence something which cannot be said of a roach, rudd or dace.

Britannica.com defines chub as a game fish (Leuciscus cephalus)
Wiki defines chub (Squalius cephalus) as being a member of the carp family Cyprinidae which also belongs to the subfamily Leuciscinae "as other chubs and daces generally do".

So let me think, right so wiki says they are a member of the carp family/subfamily dace right?

I think???? :eek:mg: :D
and Britannica says they are a game fish!

Oh never mind, i'm all confused now but I still like em! :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just because you like them doesn't make them a "sport" fish.
Britannica.com is simply wrong, they aren't a "game" fish.
They aren't really a "silver" fish because they aren't silver.
They are cyprinids, they are one of the many UK coarse fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Under the generally accepted banner of "silver fish" then you'd have to agree that Chub would fall into that category.

In the UK the term, 'game fish' usually refers to salmonoids such as Salmon, Trout and Char; add in Grayling depending on how pedantic one might be (LOL)

So to my mind, Chub are definitely 'silver fish' rather than game or 'sport fish'

Regardless of whatever category they fall into, they are great fish to target and catch at amy time of the season.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The term 'silver fish' came from match anglers in the Midlands who were fishing either the Fens and the choice was eels, roach (silver fish) or bream, or canals like the Trent and Mersey where the choice was ruffe and gudgeon or roach (again silver fish). Nothing to do with chub. The common use of the term for anything other than carp is a bit silly as it can include fish like tench. Better to say, in matches, carp in one keepnet, anything but in another.

Chub aren't a game fish, certainly nothing special compared to big roach:wh, but good sport nonetheless when the capricious big roach are playing hard to get.

flightliner

Reaction score

Watched a small shoal yesterday when out for a walk with my grandaughter, only about two miles from where I live. some pretty nice fish too.

nicepix

Reaction score
When stalked with a fly (preferably a dry fly) they are a sporting fish to match any trout. When robbing my barbel bait they are a bl**dy nuisance.

I hope that clears it up

laguna

Reaction score
Great replies guys and special thanks especially from Mark who explains where the term "silvers" originated!
Thanks mate.

I also agree that Britanica is simply wrong, irrespective of what family/subfamily they belong to.

Nothing pedantic about it Peter, according to the national bylaws Grayling are a member of the salmon family and as such are; by definition a "Game fish"!

Perhaps it is the term "silver" being applied to my favourite river species that winds me up?

My biggest "Big roach" was 13" fork to snout (no scales available, just a piece of string) caught on the Calder in the 70's, and although I have caught bigger chub (5.5 pb) my memories of that big roach will stay with me forever.

Chub are better though :D

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I think one of the wonderful things about both big roach AND big chub is that in order to catch a decent one of either species (say 2lb roach or 5lb chub) a certain amount of craftiness is required - and both of these species have an uncanny knack of getting off during the fight, which whilst its never quite in the same league as a carp or barbel is still considerably more than you'll get from most of the other prolific river species. Big roach have an awful habit of doing as swimmers roll on the lip on the landing net and making a last minute escape, whereas a big chub will frequently lull you in to a false sense of security by coming in relatively easy, only to make a last minute dash for near bank cover as you lapse concentration and reach for the landing net - and just how is it that they then transfer the hook to a reedstam and get away!?!

Either one could make or (heart)break a winter day's fishing.

Given the choice.... I'd catch them BOTH!! :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grayling are classified as a coarse fish despite having an adipose fin and inhabiting the colder upper regions of the river more traditionally associated with game fish.
This classification is changing though in recent years as waters containing wild trout decline and the 'flay' fishers are looking for more prolific wild fish rather than stew pond stockies.

I love catching them on trotted maggot from the Dove and the upper Severn, the only problem is those pesky 4 and 5Lb chub which like the same stretches.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Grayling are classified as a coarse fish despite having an adipose fin and inhabiting the colder upper regions of the river more traditionally associated with game fish.
This classification is changing though in recent years as waters containing wild trout decline and the 'flay' fishers are looking for more prolific wild fish rather than stew pond stockies.

I love catching them on trotted maggot from the Dove and the upper Severn, the only problem is those pesky 4 and 5Lb chub which like the same stretches.

Yep, I believe that's something to do with Grayling spawning time being in line with coarse fish.
Jerry

laguna

Reaction score
Here is an extract from one of our emails from EA which clearly shows that Grayling are NOT a coarse fish despite spawning times being in line with coarse fish..

This is in accordance with that specified in the National game fishing/National salmon and sea trout byelaws.

• [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]“salmon” means all fish of the salmon species and includes part of a salmon; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]“trout” means any fish of the salmon family commonly known as trout, including migratory trout and char, and also includes part of a trout; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]grayling (Thymallus thymallus) is a species of freshwater fish in the salmon family (family Salmonidae) of order Salmoniformes; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]both trout and grayling, being a member of the salmon family, are sometimes fished for legally in other ways (using rod and line), than by artificial fly or artificial lure; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]salmon caught accidently out of season when targeting; trout, grayling and other species may include bait or spinners and other ways where permitted (using rod and line), than by artificial fly or artificial lure.
    [/FONT]