Hybrids

BarryC

Reaction score
In coarse fishing there are several species that will readily hybridise.
Most of the carp family can interbreed as can Roach Rudd and Bream.
I have never heard of sea species hybridising so do any of the cod family do this. Possibly some bream or rays that are quite similar.
Over to you experts.

cadius

Reaction score
Hi there Barry C,cadius here i am pretty sure that the members of the families of the species of Rays do not hybridize nor the cod family.Perhaps its because they breed in different places?unlike bream and roach.Its an interesting question and mother nature could step in at any point and change all of that as you may well know.I mean a few years ago there was great excitement when a Celocanth was found to still be alive and well even though they thought it was extinct.It would be strange to catch a hybrid in the sea,a ray crossed with a great white you could have them trained to attack jet skies and gill nets which in the past have caused problems for their breeding cycle,and nothing likes to be disturbed when that's going on?????????
keep the faith regards cadius

keora

Reaction score
I've caught roach/bream hybrids, and possibly rudd/bream hybrids in Ireland. I've had a few carp from a lake in Leicestershire which to me looked like common carp/crucian carp hybrids.

Coarse fish hybrids are mainly created by similar species spawning in the same place at the same time. I imagine that in the sea there is not the same competition between species for good spawning sites. The sea's a lot bigger.

This paper is interesting. In section 2 it says that about 212 hybrid fish have been identified, but only about 30 of these are sea fish.

SEMINAR/STUDY TOUR IN THE U.S.S.R. ON GENETIC SELECTION AND HYBRIDIZATION OF CULTIVATED FISHES

Big Spence

Reaction score
The only time i've heard of a possible hybrid is The River Ogmore in South Wales apparently has thrown up rather large Flounder some being well over 3lb which is a rather large fish for the area, there are alot of people who seem to think they are Flounder/Plaice hybrids not sure on other species doing it though.

reg phillips

Reaction score
New member, hi guys.

Pretty sure dabs, flounder and plaice are known to cross breed but how about this, mullet/carp?. I keep carp in my pond and I have two large grass carp and they look very much like thick lipped grey mullet, swap over the scales and colouration and it would be difficult to tell which one is which. Both species eat weed, thats why I have grass carp in the pond as they keep the blanket weed down to a minimum.