Congrats to Martin James (MBE)

laguna

Reaction score
Congratulations to Martin James awarded an MBE in the Queens Birthday Honours for voluntary services to charity conservation and angling.

A real honour and recognition for the good work that you have done in your lifetime, truly magnificent. You are a credit to our sport and an inspiration to all.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Congrats to Martin
I have his autobiography and it is a fascinating read, a top bloke and well deserved.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Old news.
CSG records and Group Hisory were amended to accommodate MJ's catches, a real phenonaman.
Martin was also involed in what was advertised at the time as the courtys best angling club, the Linesman. HO in Baker St, Mayfair, London W1 no less!

I have one of its newsletters from the very early 70's still, unheard of in those days. A real pathfinder

In it is shown MJ proudly displaying a specimen pike taken from one of its waters. Many top anglers of the day were members, including Ivan Marks

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Saying that though, I suppose MJ knew around the time of the Queens official birthday whenever that was (first, second or third Saturday in June (for the UK),)...

How come I'm always the last to know what the hells going on? :eek:
Don't answer that! ;):D

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
It was on the Angling Trusts News section 17-06-2012 HERE

The way it works is the nominee receives a letter from some high ranking person saying that HRM The Queen is minded to award whatever to... and would you accept if offered?

My wife received the letter re her O.B.E. in the late May 97 and received the award at Buckingham Palace in the October. Her award was a John Major recommendation, definitely no political 'reward' in her case then :) but for over 30 years work in the social (unpaid) housing sector.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was on the Angling Trusts News section 17-06-2012 HERE

The way it works is the nominee receives a letter from some high ranking person saying that HRM The Queen is minded to award whatever to... and would you accept if offered?

My wife received the letter re her O.B.E. in the late May 97 and received the award at Buckingham Palace in the October. Her award was a John Major recommendation, definitely no political 'reward' in her case then :) but for over 30 years work in the social (unpaid) housing sector.

Yeah, they offered me a gong last week for going to work!!!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is the actual email I received from him in June, so he hasn't picked it up yet

Dear Friends

I feel very privileged and honoured to have been made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the Queen’s Birthday Honours published June 16th 2012 for charity, environment and angling published in the London Gazette.
I will be invited to an investiture at Buckingham Palace organised by the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood in St James's Palace

Kind regards
Martin James

Very well deserved, despite the usual snide comments!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I know lots about him, probably as much as you. But the most important thing I know is, that on the many occasions I have had a cheque to write for articles submitted etc to various angling publications over the years, every time without exception since 1996, he insisted the cheque be written out to a charity. Help for Heros being the latest. This amounts to many 1000's of pounds raised which could have just as easily gone into his pocket. Seriously. Well done Martin. Well deserved.

B

Berty

You probably know more than me.........but my ideals of who should get a gong differ to yours!!!!

The biggest thing that some can do is to refuse reward and carry on with the good work, then the inner self may be at peace.......thats all i'm going to say.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Fred no snide remark, a genuine question, real name or writer's name.
Having never been offered such a gong, not that I'd take it, much with Paul on this, do you get them in your real name Ken or writer's name Martin, coz I Don't know.

I do however have a friend who's had one for years, Anne Bowles MBE Services to the Community, but that's her real name and she doesn't know either.