A small patch of silt in a weeded up water?

dave11

Reaction score
My local water at present is just covered in Weed. The fishing is hard to impossible not just because of the weed but the fish have so much natural food who needs your bait. The weed even drops to 10ft but i have found a little spot of a depth of 12ft which is pure silt with no weed im the centre of the lake. Trying to get the fish in would be a mission in itself but i wonder whether it would be worth tackling that tiny bit of silt with all the natural food in the weed would it work .....mmmm?. What do you think ?

And when the hell does canadian pond weed die off!!

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
What species are you fishing for Dave?

Have you tried to observe where the fish you're after are actually feeding?

There may very well be slightly clearer patches if you lead around carefully, or possibly concentrate on the margins, especially to any islands?

Raking, or creating your own margin "gravel patches" is another route?

I've been fishing a couple of heavily weeded waters over the last few months and haven't had any problems bringing fish in from distance (40/50 yards) through the weed. I don't use "dump the lead" rigs.

The weed will start to die off with the autumn frosts.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Very much as Simon posted. Raking can be very productive even when there's so much pond life on the raked weed that it walks back in by itself. Also, in my experience, baits cast to settle on weed are not a problem - the fish will find them.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Echo previous posts.

Casting a bait into weed is a struggle for some people but as per previous post the fish will find it. It is a confidence thing, getting your head around the concept can be tough to start with but those misgivings will disappear with the first run.....

uintahflyshop

Reaction score
When fishing the Idle last week I was feeding pellets and a few landed on top of the weed raft I was casting to. It didn't stop the chub from finding them though, and the slurping noises they made in their efforts to get at the pellets had to be heard to be believed!

They'll find your bait, don't worry.

Dave

Last edited:

dave11

Reaction score
This is seriously heavy stuff guys and i mean heavy. I was raking for 2 hours and fished for two days and had not a touch . there really is so much natural food in there you would not believe. The weed i raked out of the swim was piled up higher than my bivvy. You are talking sheer drop offs to 10 ft so you are talking 10 foot of thick weed so you may now see how incredibly deep the weed is.

It's really a matter i think of making another attempt once the weed has died even a little hence when does the damn stuff die:(

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Don't forget that what we see are vast areas of weed, much the same as we see when looking at an aerial photograph of a forest.

But when you get down onto the forest floor, there are pathways, clearings etc. Just the same for the fish with the thick weed, they'll be moving about and browsing.

dave11

Reaction score
I have no doubt that the fish love the weed but fishing near weed and not even being able to cast past weed is going from a potential good spot especially for Tench to a dead loss if its blanket!

if the weed starts to die opening up such nice spots amongst it then it could be awesome but when does the stuff die. Sept/oct/Nov?