Doing something different keeps things fresh.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've said it before, I don't really get the whole single species thing. I'd get bored doing the same thing for weeks, let alone months or years.

Within the limitations of what's available locally, I'll tend to fish for barbel and chub on the river, tench and carp in stillwaters interspersed with general sessions with match type gear for anything that swims. This is usually enough to keep me interested.

However, once in a while I'll do something a little different. Yesterday was one of those days. I had a single rod and reel, landing net and bag of bait/bits. I only fished for about two hours in around four spots that I had to clamber through undergrowth to get to. I trotted worms a very short distance below a small Avon float. If I'd have fallen in, I'd struggle to get my knees wet. I may even have banged my head on the far bank. I caught a whole ten little brown trout, not one of them over a pound, most significantly less.
They looked an awful lot like the following, perhaps a little darker as upland fish often are.

Brown.jpg

While it's not something I'll repeat for a year or two, I've not had as much fun fishing in quite some time.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
At the bottom of my road is the lovely river Chess. One of the shortest rivers in the country at 9 miles long rising in Chesham and running into the Colne at Rickmansworth. A mainly private fishing only river, I don't go down that often but there is a small stretch which is a grey area as to fishing rights where I occasionally have a dangle. Summer evenings (much like now) I go down and trot a no6 shot freelined with worm on the hook and see the small trout intercept the worm from the marginal weed. Like yours, only small but beautiful fish nonetheless. The vibrant colours of a wild brown trout are well worth the effort to see.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Variety is the spice of life!!

I love carp fishing, but the thought of sitting behind a battery of rods and alarms all year round does not fill me with too much enthusiasm.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You cannot beat fishing for little brownies in a natural stream, burn, beck or lochan.
the best fishing I have ever had as been in the small lochan of the west highlands and islands of Scotland...Proper fishing!

barbelboi

Reaction score
At the bottom of my road is the lovely river Chess. One of the shortest rivers in the country at 9 miles long rising in Chesham and running into the Colne at Rickmansworth. A mainly private fishing only river, I don't go down that often but there is a small stretch which is a grey area as to fishing rights where I occasionally have a dangle. Summer evenings (much like now) I go down and trot a no6 shot freelined with worm on the hook and see the small trout intercept the worm from the marginal weed. Like yours, only small but beautiful fish nonetheless. The vibrant colours of a wild brown trout are well worth the effort to see.

There's also a couple of other species in reasonable weights that come out that we won't talk about on a open forum :wh....................................................
Jerry
PS Isn't the Chess one of the few rivers that is self sustained in respect of rainbows?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have also had fun with trout like that in a small stream with a tiny little spinner. Watching the trout dart out from behind a bit of weed or stone and taking the spinner is great fun.