NEC 11

mick rees

Reaction score
a short time ago i wrote about the nec prices! Well i have won a free ticket to go!! bloody good aint it.First thing i have ever won,

Iain Riley

Reaction score
I can't even get the compertition to work proprly.but i was just about to book a ticket on line and after reading the small print i sussed it,s cheaper to get your ticket on the gate than pay booking fees and other hidden charges i,m unimployed so every penny counts .Call me tight but the more in my pocket the more i can spend there.So i don't get the free gift dvd i would reather get an extra spool of braid.

Iain/forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

mick rees

Reaction score
Yes i totally agree with you, i was going to book a ticket on line but the wife worked it out and said its cheaper to get it on the gate it dont make sense to me?why do people do it if its dearer unless its for convenience

Iain Riley

Reaction score
I know what you mean mick i supose it,s just a british thing about queing where online you go strait in me i,ll que may be i,ll see you there have fun.Iain

mick rees

Reaction score
Fun maybe but when your in a wheelchair you tend to be very careful how you go round luckily i will have my g/son with me so he can look for any bargains as the stalls are to high to see from ground level ah well /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

D

David Bourne

Iain,

I e-mailed you on the address you gave earlier on the other thread, did you get my e-mail?

Dave Bourne

K

Kevan Farmer

So, who's actually going on the Friday? I'll be there and I'll wear my Fishing Magic cap. So, if you see a well built chap (fat) wearing a green fleece and with a walking stick (look for the green Fishing Magic sticker on that) say hi and buy me a cuppa /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

mick rees

Reaction score
cant manage friday my g/sons at school( i need help in my w/chair) so i"ll be there on saturday morning spending my wifes money??

K

Kevan Farmer

Hi Mick. I always tend to go on the Friday as it's that little bit easier to get in the place. I usually wait until the rush hour traffic has died down on the motorways (I only live a mile and half away from Junction 11 of the M6). It's a nice steady little drive then fro me. I can never get into the disabled car park (riddled with arthritis mate and I'm not quite 45) but I usually get onto one of the overflow ones down the side of the hall. It does mean a bit of walking but again, I take it steady and get there (from car park to hall) in about an hour /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Iain Riley

Reaction score
HI Kev i went yesterday and had a ball wish i'de had more money though.Hope you have as good a time as i had and i'm gonna start saving now ready for next year

K

Kevan Farmer

Hmm, Iain did you go to the same one that I did? I was very , very disappointed. It was more like a one big tackle sale. Ok, if that's wht you want then fine but paying to go into a tackle shop? The demo's were very mediocre.... It's been two years since I went and I can't the show lasting another two years now. Where were the big name companies showcasing their new stuff? Why was there a very big focus on carp stuff? I wanted to see some sea angling stuff (even though I only go for a few days each year). All I found was Sea Angler magazine's stand tucked up a corner as if they had been naughty boys /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

I was very let down and I'm glad I went on a complimentary ticket or I'd be looking for a refund.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
to be honest it was my first and you are right it was like a big tackle shop and most of that was over priced and cheaper in my local tacle shop.,but as it was my first at the NEC i had no priar expectationsand not alot of money so most of what i was doing when icould get close enough was window shoping.Knowing very little about sea fishing exeot what Hennry Gilbey tells me all i can say is it looks like a lot of fun so i spent most of my time in the mojo arena and the theater listoning ti Des Taylor and Wilson i think if i had had to pay for my ticet i to would have been dissapointed but with no preconceved perseptions i left happy if not a tutch depressed that i didn't have the money to spend in the first place.Can't help agreeing with you though where were the big companys it would have been nice to see what Diawa and the likes were planing for 2008.Instead you just get a feeling that it should have been called the Korda Carp and bait show.I had heard a roomer that the powers that be had put the stand prices throw the roof with a single small one man stand costing£20,000 so it dose make you understand why prices are cheeper at my local tackle shop.I'll bet the lad i sold my spear ticket to was glad he didn't pay £15 ether yours Iain ps £18,79 if you payed online with booking fees and fine print.

K

Kevan Farmer

Hi Iain /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif I first went to the Go Fishing show a few years ago... erm, something like about 6 years I think. I don't think it was its first year but may have been the second. Anyway, back then all the big manufacturers were out in force with pleanty of really good demo's and thier own experts on hand to ask relevant questions of. Now that first time for me really was good. Daiwa were there as were Shimano and whole host of vintage tackle stalls too which really made it very interesting. I remember possibly the second year that I went Barry Grantham was doing a demonstration of how to repair a brokne fly rod...in cane /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Barry being a cane rod and centrepin reel maker of course. Hopkins and Holloway were there and I was able to ask question about various rod rings and their use. In fact the place was absolutely heaving with variety. Compare that with this years offering and you'll see why I was disappointed.

Did you see the Outdoor Show in the other hall? As you went through the doors the fihsing show was on the irght while the outdoor one was on the left. The fishing show sued to be in the hall to the left and it was much bigger. There was the main hall with a 'carp' village at the end in its own section of 'L' shaped hall.

I agree with you about the prices too. I did manage to get a few little bits and pieces that I only bought because I knew I couldn't get them locally and P&P tends to bump the price up online. I did spot certain things that even with P&P are still cheaper by buying mail order!!!!

Not good at all.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
Hi kev/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Do you mean the outdoor show that was on the same time or was there on attached to the fishing show ,because next year i think that i will go to the other show instead cause they run them both the same time every year.Last year it was a toss up which my brother and me went to in the end it was nether and i was gutted as i'm a keen consevationist and bird watcher to ,not a twitcher who just runs around the ****ry collecting birds like stamps but actuly studying the habbits of birds( sorry twitchers drive me pottie as i said you might as well collect stamps and save the petrol than twitch)so naxt year i think it's the outdoor show instead not only that the main reson i went to the show was to find sombody to restore my old Sealey splitt cane rod so that got shot down in flames . I should have gone to the show at Kebworth instead but transport is a problem as i don't drive apparently there was about 5 or 6 rod restorers there .OH there,s always next year you live and learn/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif.Iain

mick rees

Reaction score
Well i went on saturday and what a disappointment it was.I did"nt think that there was as much as last year. However there was a few bargains to be had and my g/son couldn"t get over seeing bob nudd, matt hayes and of coarse keith arthur,however do these people realise that there is other forms of fishing besides CARP,,CARP and more carp!!I"m afraid i won"t be going again

Doug Butler

Reaction score
I think it should be called THE GO FISHING CARP SHOW Iwent onFriday but I will not be going next year tihs was my 4th year and it as been geting les interrsting each year, and the price just keeps going upas you say Iain, you live and learn. Well from a very disappointed coarse man, All the best to you all.

Doug/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Iain Riley

Reaction score
myself i like carpfishing and as i've said if it hadn't of been for a very nice chap on this site who gave me the ticket i wouldn't of gone. But iwill not be going again unless i want to get some bait on mass which was the best bargins,but i will save my pennies and go to the outdoor show next year that not only is alegidley biggerbut has a fishing section to.but for the first show of that kind i had been to i came away with mixed emotions part of me said well that was crappy but the other part was gutted that i didn't have the money to enjoy it fully so i was abit likethe kid in a sweet shop . It was nice to meet some of my Hero,s like Des Taylor ,Wilson,Mick brown and Matt Hayes ,so this year i think unfortuatly it's got to be less fishing because i do spend a hell of a lot on my main love and put the money to driving lessons so i can go to the batter shows and fish farther afield as a 40 year old bloke it,s shocking to realy on others to get me to the places i want to fish .Unfortunatlly i've just had a work related injury so now money is real short,question is now do i clame or do i just suffer in silence,but thats getting off the track the was a fishing and outdoor show the same weekend at Kebworth park that didn't get anywhere the publicity and from what i herd was miles better consetrating on all the art,s of fishing so at least in some areas the art of the sport still flurishes/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Steve Grantham

Reaction score
I went on Saturday,i have been twice before but will not again. The first time i went it was a show dawia,shimano and the like showing off there new products. now its like a bank holiday market all retail ! I was talking to Des Taylor and as he said a f**king car boot sale .

I have been told by some of the stall holders they do not think it will happen next year to much politics,lot off people unhappy with dragon carp and used tackle being there.

All in all the show was half the size of before and not a show but a retail park all for £8 to park and £16 to get in we must be mugs !

Steve Grantham

Reaction score
Hi kevan Barry Grantham is my cousin and i was sorry not to see him at the show to as we dont get the chance to catch up much.

looking at what was there i think he was right to stay away.