Lead Shot - Do you miss it?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember when using lead shot was legal.

I really miss it. The shot I use now, especially on stick float rigs are bulky and I feel it hampers presentation.

With the hindsight have now, was the ban a good or a bad move?

J

John Pleasance

It was a bad move, we were conned into it,swans were on the increase at the time according to the RSPBs own figures.

Don't forget you can legally use lead shot of size 8 and smaller.

M

Martin Wright

Personally, I never the minded the ban insofar as(whether proven to harm swans or not)polluting our waterways with lead cannot be a good thing. Plus I don't think we've really missed it.

However, the way it was so quickly banned with no real representation from ourselves should be a warning to us all!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I'm still amazed that it has never been banned from shotgun cartridges! Can't spread more lead than with those damn things.

R

Rob Brownfield

I miss it heaps..especially in the larger sizes.I think we were conned and duped into the ban..grrrrrrrr

Shooters do more harm...duck shooter especially..as they shoot over waters up here that have never allowed fishing....and the birds still have lead poisoning...!!..and this is from a fly fishing area...so I know its not old lead in the mud as the bird people tried to tell us.

M

Mike Parker

I do miss it so.

But then again its done nothing for the image of fishing. We still get a mention on every wildlife bird tv program, as these poor little swans are bought into wildlife hospitals around the country suffering from lead poisoning caused by anglers weights. We must have lost a pound or two of lead on each outing for us to still be to blame.

Still why spoil a good factual wildlife program with the truth!

R

Robert Draper

But at least now we can refute the accusations. I don't miss the lead shot at all, I have changed my shotting patterns in some cases but I don't think it has affected my fishing to any noticeable degree.

I also paint historical miniatures (for ancient & napoleonic wargames) and there is a gradual move away from using lead there too, the advances in soft non-lead alloys made by angling firms are having benefits in other hobbies!

C

Cheese Paste

I think todays non-toxic stuff is better than lead ever was. Mainly because it is removable and re-usuable.

K

Kevan Farmer

Robert. As one or two on here know, myself, together with others have recently had cause to refute the lead poisoning claims. I personally had a quite a volley going with a BBC TV journalist over a news story. It was the usual, swans taken into a West Midlands swan rescue centre suffering from lead poisoning caused by? Yes, you've guessed it, those nasty uncaring anglers. No representation from anybody in angling at the time. I tackled the journalist responsible and he did admit that he had used only material given to him by The Swan Rescue Centre. I did my best to put him straight and laid the facts down as we know them. He did promise to give a fair representation the next time. I await that chance.
As for actually missing lead shot? Yes I do. A couple of weeks ago I refurbished an old float and tackle box - one of those varnished wooden jobs. I've had to throw out lead shot that had been there since I first started fishing - 27 or 28 yrs ago. I have always been able to re-use lead shot and have done so. It's rare that I've lost it or indeed any other terminal tackle. I discount discarded hooks and hook lengths of course - these go into my tackle bag for proper disposal at home and always have done. I do get on with modern non-lead shot but my preference is for the genuine stuff.

Kevan

C

Craig Smith

I thought the reason for banning lead shot was for the reason of wildlife! So why aren't all the companies that pollute our waterways banned or better still made illegal!
The fines that big companies are given for polluting are laughable and don't serve as a deterant more like emptying there pockets of change.
Sorry about going off the beat and track but I think it's relevant.

C

Chris Bishop

I never use anything smaller than swan shot and someone's got to be making a fortune out of it. The other day I bought a tub for a quid-odd and it had nine shot in.

Trouble is I can't fish without it.

C

Cheese Paste

Chris

Have you tried using plastecine as a substitute for SSGs?

It did my head when I cast 2 or 3 swan shots into a tree and ended up losing them all. But with plastecine you can just mould it around a float stop and if it comes it doesn't matter. Ideal for snaggy swims.

The only drawback is that plastecine isn't as heavy and requires a slightly larger size than normal.

C

Craig Smith

Cheese Paste it might not matter to you but I know fish aren't fussy bout what they eat but I can always remember me old man telling not to eat plastecine coz it would make me ill, What would it do to the fish?

R

Robert Draper

Kevan, I've had a similar situation where an RSPB type decided to thrust a handful of "lead shot" in my face just asking for a confrontation. On examining his "lead shot" I pointed out that two pieces were non-toxic shot, half a dozen were squashed airgun pellets and the rest had no split in them - obviously magic shot that you put on the line by the power of suggestion...

C

Cheese Paste

Craig, I don't understand your post. What doesn't matter to me?

C

Craig Smith

Robert,
I'd love some of that magic shot! I'll ring my local RSPB branch and try and get some more info. Ha Ha Ha

C

Craig Smith

I'm not saying fish welfare doesn't matter but using plastecine can't be very fish friendly

C

Cheese Paste

I don't thinks it any different to a swan shot or those putty leads dropping off in the water. I reckon fish are clever enough to realise that plastecine isn't food.

R

Robert Draper

I hope that plastecine isn't harmful as it was a part of my staple diet up until the age of seven or eight...