Bushy park, hampton court

uncle_jo

Reaction score
Hi all, iv just found out that you can fish at bushy park with a permit! Just wondered if anyone has fished there before? If so are there any good pitches and what is a good bait to use?

Cheers

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you can fish most of the Royal Parks on an annual permit, not only Bushy Park.

The Longwater in the palace grounds used to be a great venue and rarely ever fished, but that was probably 40 odd years ago.

No idea what the parks fish like these days.

Good luck though and tight lines.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think that you can fish most of the Royal Parks on an annual permit, not only Bushy Park.

The Longwater in the palace grounds used to be a great venue and rarely ever fished, but that was probably 40 odd years ago.

No idea what the parks fish like these days.

Good luck though and tight lines.

Pretty much the same - used to fish the Park lakes in the 60's/early 70's and there were some very good fish in residence at the time - from feedback I believe there are still some good 'uns, especially carp up to low 40's.
Jerry
PS Used to be some half decent tincas in the Longwater PJ:)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Same here - fished them from about 1978-1985. Tench fishing mostly in Home Park (the Hampton Court side) and in Diana Pond in Bushy Park which was crammed with tench in the 1-3Ib range plus a few large carp by the statue, then there was bream and some better tench in Heron, and lots of easy carp in the Leg of Mutton Pond. Last I heard virtually all the ponds were carp focussed with some big fish (30s) in several of them - but highly pressured. Diana Pond has recently been drained (a couple of years back) to restore the statue in shiny gold leaf and all the fish were removed. Now it has refilled i understand there is still no fishing on it and no idea if any got put back.

Most of the ponds are very busy, especially during school holidays or in dog-walking weather. The Home Park ones are harder to get to without a long walk so are quieter. I miss the place, it was where i learnt a lot, and the surroundings can be spectacular.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Chub on the block, I really do miss the old Longwater as it is where I did most of my apprenticeship years for fishing with my older Brother.

Sadly today the massive trees are gone and have been replaced by smaller ones, and I doubt that the fish look "so big" now that we are adults . . . .

One of these days I will go back for a last look at the place though.