Head lamps

tinca steve

Reaction score
Question ; which is best a head lamp that runs on batterys or one that winds up (like the one sold by "justfish.com").

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Never used the wind up ones, I have always used the LED headlamps, last for ages on one set of batteries, and I converted part of it to run on red leds to reduce glare on the water. I also find the little ones you clip onto the peak of a baseball cap great as they are so light, got some from the pound shop in town and the batteries last 100 hours, and they do not have the strap around the head that can be annoying.

Deanos

Reaction score
There is a review of headlamps on the site Steve.

I personally use a battery headlamp with 10 L.E.Ds, very low on battery juice, good lighting level.

Try your local camping shop, Gelert are a good brand, cheap at around £10!, they also do head lamps with red L.E.Ds so that you dont lose your night vision whilst baiting up etc.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Wind up ones are very dangerous Tinca ,you could inadvertently twist your ears off.

tinca steve

Reaction score
Deanos i have read several reviews on headlamps on various sites but was looking at the justfish site where they have a 3 LED headlamp that you wind up and of course will not run out of batteries cos it dont have any to replace.
What i was trying to ask is , has anybody tried one of these and are they any good?
Maybe they are better than battery types?
I have a wind-up radio and a wind-up phone charger and a wan*er torch so why not a wind-up headlamp?

E

Eric Hayes

Don't muck about get oneof thepetzl's. You will pay more but they are well worth it. I've had a few but nothing comes close to Petzl, trust me.

Wind-up head torch LOL,WTF is that all about? Whathappens if it runs out of charge when your landing a fish?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Just put your rod down, wind it up a bit and start again Eric , it's simple.

steveo

Reaction score
Bleeding dangerouse wind up torches..

I knew a bloke who had on once and when he was winding it up his foot fell off.

My prefered method of lighting is to collect a small glass jar of gloworm's and sellotape it to my head.Very enviromentally friendly with no batteries to throw away.

Oh and dont forget to feed them!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

A bike lamp and a roll of sellotape works good

Or if you can get an old bike with a dynamo on the wheel you can set that up on a stand and sit on it and pedal whenever yoiu need some light

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Is that where all your long hair went Ed? pulling yer pifco off?

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Is that where all your long hair went Ed? pulling yer pifco off?</blockquote>
I thought that made you go blind, I didn't know it made your hair fall out as well.

LOONIE

Reaction score
Just bought a couple of battery head tourches today from Morrisons petrol station for £3.99 each.They have 9 leds and are very bright,I've had a similar tourch for several years and wouldn't be without it.

Reaction score
Steve,

I carry both sorts for night sessions.

I usean LED Lenseras my primary light and have a Unicom Wind Upas a back up (just in case).

The Lenser is very powerful and will fully illuminate the oppositebank of the lower Severn. It has an adjustable angle bracket meaning you don't have to tilt your head at improbable angles whilst tying a rig or un-hooking a fish. A (literally) brilliant bit of kit.

The Unicom does not have an adjustable tilt but is a brilliant back-up torch. No batteries to forget, 30 secs winding more than enough for half an hour of power.

I'd get both mate. There is nothing worse than having to abandon a decent night session for want of illumination. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Thats a good link ****y.

Joey, Iain,........Ed is all of those.

E

Eric Hayes

This is the one Igot last weekPetzl Tika PlusI've had other Petzl's, thefirstbeing a Zoom,avery good head torch but a bit on the heavy side with the battery packon theback of the harness& a standard incandescent bulb. I then gota second hand Tika (the first LED thatPetzl Did) this only had 3 LED's and theyused first Generation LED technologytherefore theywheregood but not very bright and it was at a fixed angle.The new oneisvery good with4 modern LED's and 3 light levels.I've also triedthe ENERGIZER 3 LED HEAD TORCHthat some people where raving about on another sitebut I didn't like the type of light it gives off (harsh on the eyes)or the angle mechanism, every time you turned it on or off the thing moved so I found I was always messing about trying to get the angle right & the battery life is not upto the same standard as a petzl.The Tika has a positive ratchet type thing that keeps the torch at the right angle no matter what you do with the switch& the battery life on the lowest setting is a stated 120 hours.

This is my back up e+LITE®Also a quality bit of kit that only weighs 27g

The Cheaper LED head torches are a waste of money. The LED's are of low quality and the light they give off is like wise bad. OK you can see to bait up etc but they play hell with your eyes.

Reaction score
Derek,<blockquote class=quoteheader>morespiders(ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>****y, your not a gynecologist by any chance?.</blockquote>It's a hobby... It sure beats fishing! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

E

Eric Hayes

****y Can you decorate the hallway thru the letter box??

Now we've found the level.../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif