Wintle's World ? Location

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well done Mark some cracking fishing and some nice specimens to boot, I bet you felt like a dog with two tails when that chub came in. Isn't it a lovely feeling when everything falls into place, even moreso when you least expect it?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Its got an amazing set of lips on it too!

Muffin

Reaction score
Really interesting article Mark, very much enjoyed the read.

I understand that particular swims and locations are 'known' holding spots of fish, but dont you think that there are so many variables that affect where fish are located that fisherpeople (note political correctness) can sometimes get hung up on being in the 'perfect' swim?

I have found in the past that sometimes when I cant fish my desired swim for whatever reason that my second or even third choice swim still produces the goods. So with that in mind do we anglers get too focused on location and not on focused on what we fisherman bring to the equation which is skill and presentation?

The only reason I ask is that fish have the freedom to roam a long disctance, and could be drawn to a particular location for a number of different reasons, so surely considering this the fish wont always be in what us anglers feel is the perfect swim?

The reason I ask about this is as I have just started fishing a new piece of river and as such dont have a knowledge of the best swims or a great deal of time to spend fishing non-productive areas. So should I concentrate on one or two particular 'good looking' swims or give every swim a dabble and judge on my results?

Any opinions or thoughtsgreatly received.

Simon

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Another excellent read mark.

Muffin i would have a few roaming sessions to get to know the stretch involved.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Steve,

The key for me on finding the chub was recognising that in the prevailing winter conditions of a low clear river it was a case of looking for shallowish 2-4ft deep smooth fast glides, often at the tail of pools but not always. Then just a matter of trung them out with light stick float and maggot with small hooks. It hasn't been unusual to catch first cast. In the same conditions the deep swims were not producing at all, partly because the frosts and clear water were putting the roach down. With more water on and some colour then the roach will feed, as I found out last Saturday when it had lots of colour though hardly up at all.

Floatfishing is a very good way to find fish in that it explores the swim quickly and maggots are an almost instant bait. I recognise that sometimes it takes hours to find the fish but that's fishing.

You might find other factors on your stretch of river according to time of year or conditions such as overhanging bushes etc.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

some cracking fishing that mark and great article too. enjoyed it very much well done.

B

Bully

You said - "far from headline monsters". A 2.6 grayling and 6+ chub are monsters to most of us...........cracking fish and very good advice really, which I read as...

Its 99% about the conditions and location, and little to do with whats actually on the hook! In other words too much time spent debating all kinds of different baits, and too little time reading and interpreting conditions IMHO.

...........which I still get suckered into of course /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bridge

Reaction score
i must agree conditions and location are paramount 99% ,but that 1% is also so important ,i,ve had days when fishing carsters ,double mag ,nothing ! the only thing that would work was single red maggot ,so dont dis-regard that 1% it could make the difference to the journey home !