Canal Pike

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Some canal's seem able to throw up surprise fish, let's say fish in excess of twenty five pounds. Others seem only able to produce smaller fish in the five to ten pounds or so bracket. But even those canals can and do turn up a biggie every blue moon. So I suppose all canals aren't equal for a number of reasons.

I currently fish two canals that are both capable of throwing up the odd thirty,(and have, though not to me). But twenty pound plus fish do figure in my catches from time to time.

So yes, some canals can and do produce ''large''pike, but unfortunately not all of them.

rains

Reaction score
Some canal's seem able to throw up surprise fish, let's say fish in excess of twenty five pounds. Others seem only able to produce smaller fish in the five to ten pounds or so bracket. But even those canals can and do turn up a biggie every blue moon. So I suppose all canals aren't equal for a number of reasons.

I currently fish two canals that are both capable of throwing up the odd thirty,(and have, though not to me). But twenty pound plus fish do figure in my catches from time to time.

So yes, some canals can and do produce ''large''pike, but unfortunately not all of them.
Thanks thats good to hear gonna try the canal tomorrow and see how i get on

madmatz

Reaction score
one canal near me only seems to produce small pike but thats not to say there aint a crocodile in there :eek:

philblakey

Reaction score
I lure fish canals a lot, i've caught 20lb+ pike from canals...but they're rare.
Just don't set your sights too high, i'm happy if i catch a double from a canal, even happier if i catch a 15lb+ (one below). Truth be known i'm chuft to catch any pike, from anywhere:).

ve0oix.jpg

Phil.

rains

Reaction score
I lure fish canals a lot, i've caught 20lb+ pike from canals...but they're rare.
Just don't set your sights too high, i'm happy if i catch a double from a canal, even happier if i catch a 15lb+ (one below). Truth be known i'm chuft to catch any pike, from anywhere:).

ve0oix.jpg

Phil.
Am the same am happy just to catch pike was just wondering what size they go to any tips the last few times i have tried the canals i have produce no fish was using lures and live baits

philblakey

Reaction score
Am the same am happy just to catch pike was just wondering what size they go to any tips the last few times i have tried the canals i have produce no fish was using lures and live baits
I don't use baits so i can't comment on live dead baits. Lure wise i would say throw a decent sized lure, most tend to throw small lures on canals, throwing a bigger lure will help.
Also i'd say low light conditions, dawn/dusk or after dark is a good time for larger pike; time of year would be Sept, Oct, Nov, or Feb, March.
It's worth a go.
Phil.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Rain's,

If as you say there's been no luck with either lives or lures, it may be time for a change of venue mate. Given your comments, it may be that your canal holds a low density pike population. In which case it ''will'' be a hard graft water.

rains

Reaction score
Thanks for the input as for changing the venue am determined to catch on the canal i have only tried a about 3 to 4 miles along there might try going to a different part aint caught a pike in a long time

philblakey

Reaction score
The canal closest to where i live holds plenty of pike, but i've only ever had 2 doubles out of the place upto 12lb 8oz.
My pal Bob has had 3 doubles upto 13lb 4oz; so 5 doubles between us, but out of them 3 were spawned up and wouldn't have been over 10lb had they not been full of spawn.
No idea why it doesn't produce decent pike?
Phil.

rains

Reaction score
The canal closest to where i live holds plenty of pike, but i've only ever had 2 doubles out of the place upto 12lb 8oz.
My pal Bob has had 3 doubles upto 13lb 4oz; so 5 doubles between us, but out of them 3 were spawned up and wouldn't have been over 10lb had they not been full of spawn.
No idea why it doesn't produce decent pike?
Phil.
Just wanted to say i have watched your vid's good stuff bud

marshman39

Reaction score
I keep having a bash at a canal near me. It's a decent sized canal with plenty of coal barges up and down it. I know there are fish in it and every river and pond surrounding it or feeding it has pike in. From the half dozen attempts I've had on it I haven't managed to bag one pike yet. Rather puzzling as everywhere else I go I seem to catch. I'm convinced there's some in and I'll give it some more time yet. In fact, the rivers are up and the ponds are full of weed. The missus will be watching soaps all night so guess where this sucker will end up! lol

rains

Reaction score
I keep having a bash at a canal near me. It's a decent sized canal with plenty of coal barges up and down it. I know there are fish in it and every river and pond surrounding it or feeding it has pike in. From the half dozen attempts I've had on it I haven't managed to bag one pike yet. Rather puzzling as everywhere else I go I seem to catch. I'm convinced there's some in and I'll give it some more time yet. In fact, the rivers are up and the ponds are full of weed. The missus will be watching soaps all night so guess where this sucker will end up! lol
Am certain there's pike where am fishing as well i swear am doing something wrong lol also your blog looks good will give it a read later

marshman39

Reaction score
Am certain there's pike where am fishing as well i swear am doing something wrong lol also your blog looks good will give it a read later

thanks for the comments.

I went to the canal tonight. River in flood and there was a sluice letting water in to the canal about 50m down from a lock gate. I could see small fish surfacing taking flies etc. There are a few shallower parts and then drop offs both near the sluice and lower down. It all looked the part. I tried varying lures, spinnerbaits and didn't get a single pike but saved the day by catching my first fish from this canal on a small spinner, a tiny 4 inch perch! :cool: