Disaster on the R Weaver Cheshire

The bad one

Reaction score
The river has been hit by a major fish kill (source unknown as yet) over a 10 mile length, Nantwich to Northwich. Killing thousands of fish of all species. The EA is investigating, but at present pumping oxygen in like there is no tomorrow to save what stock is left.

This is devastating for the river as it was a fine fishery for many species and many anglers in the NW.

Reaction score
This is an absolute disaster hitting one of the finest and most diverse fisheries in the North. I await the identification of the source of the massive fish kill - am trying not to make assumptions in terms of a man-made reason.

The bad one

Reaction score
Was this a pollution incident or a natural problem?

Peter it was as of yesterday unclear. That said the EA spokesperson on Northwest Tonight BBC 1 last night was quick to suggest it might be algal, creating deoxygenation.
But they hadn't finished testing the samples. :confused:
I've also picked up elsewhere that they were slow to react to the impending disaster. Took them, according to this report, over 12 hours to get someone out to check.
For a river of its significance that is poor service.

The Weaver is a big river up to 50 yards wide and 12 ft deep in the region its been polluted. It's also uncharacteristic for a Northern river as it very sluggish in flow, more a kin to a big Fen drain that a northern river. Runs through the heart of the flat Cheshire Plane.
If it is algal, I'd expect that other waters, pools, meres, canals around it to be suffering the same impacts but there are no reports of any of these suffering fish deaths.

To replace the stock to the size and level it contained is going to take 15-20 years minimum.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wondered about algal blooming to be honest, especially with all of the hot and sunny days we've had recently.

Regardless of the cause it is a terrible shame and I know a fair few who fish there regularly who are truly saddened at this news.

Let's hope that the EA can sort it quickly from now on though.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Terrible news

Were there any storm events flushing untreated sewage into a warm, already low oxygen environment over the weekend?. Theres a lot of bad SWO/CSO (surface water outfalls and Combined Sewer Overflows) in that catchment i think. Id be surprised if it was just a decaying algal bloom - in a river ? Rarely even a problem in an enclosed water.

We certainly seem to be getting a lot more fish kills in recent years

The bad one

Reaction score
Terrible news

Were there any storm events flushing untreated sewage into a warm, already low oxygen environment over the weekend?. Theres a lot of bad SWO/CSO (surface water outfalls and Combined Sewer Overflows) in that catchment i think. Id be surprised if it was just a decaying algal bloom - in a river ? Rarely even a problem in an enclosed water.

We certainly seem to be getting a lot more fish kills in recent years
Not aware of any and the EA hydrographs don't indicate any. Bluenose (mod) would know for sure, as he lives at the top of the catchment.

We've had far wose weather events hot weather, heavy storms storm pulses into the river over the last few years than this year and no fish kills.

I don't buy the low oxygen arguement, as the river because of the wet weather this region has had this summer has had high levels of O.
For it to be suggested by the EA or anyone else that 6 days of warmish weather has exploded the algea to a level where it total deoxygenated 10 miles of river is laughable.
Note we haven't had the temperatures or the same weather elswhere as had leading up to this episode.

Me thinks the EA man was talking out of his bum last night on TV.

guest61

Reaction score
Is there any way of finding who has consent licence around the stricken area?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't buy the low oxygen arguement, as the river because of the wet weather this region has had this summer has had high levels of O.
I wouldn't either, not the north west. Bit of a mystery though for now.

I used to like the Weaver, but prefered the Dane, frankly. Both used to hold some nice fish.

However, Thames region EA has loads of oxygenating equipment purchased earlier this year at the specific request of the Angling Trust regional forum (a blatant plug) ready for loan to any angling club requesting it in case of such similar events in the area.

The bad one

Reaction score
Quite a few fish died on the Sankey canal at the same time.
Think this one has more to do with the Manchester Ship Canal being closed earlier this week due to a discharge of toxic chemicals.
Fiddlers Ferry Marina and lower Sankey is connected to the Mersey by a river lock. Tides up the estuary push the water up from the MSC twice a day. Very likely some of the toxic chemical water has got into the marina and canal through boat movements.

Not the reason for the Weaver though as the pollution has moved down river not up from the tidal flats.

guest61

Reaction score
Has any more information on this incident come to light?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that the re-stocking will take place today with something like six million fish being transfered.

It is good to see such relatively swift action after the disaster which was just a couple of months ago.

guest61

Reaction score
I heard that the re-stocking will take place today with something like six million fish being transfered.

It is good to see such relatively swift action after the disaster which was just a couple of months ago.

Does anyone know what happened - various (now dated) sources say low oxygen levels - but what caused these?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened - various (now dated) sources say low oxygen levels - but what caused these?

I was told that the water samples showed nothing out of the ordinary.

One theory was that heavy rainfall the previous week caused agricultural run off from the fields which as well as sewer outflows and algae caused an oxygen drop further down the river.

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I'm always a bit suspicious when the EA act quickly, what's prompted them to do do this? If they can't pinpoint what happened, what's in place to stop such an incident happening again? Perhaps they have - in which case, what was it?

My ramblings.. Sorry :eek:mg:

Bluenose

Reaction score
I would expect the EA to act quickly when they are notified. A potential incident further up the Weaver was stopped by the EA not too long ago. A walker spotted something on a farm which they felt was an imminent danger to the river. The EA were there within an hour and the pollution prevented.

However sometimes bad things can happen due to a combination of seemingly 'innocent' events such as run offs from farms, fields, roads, outfalls, algae blooms, low water, floodwater.. whatever, then factor in 'legal' and illegal discharges and there are numerous potential outcomes.