Time to reflect on the past season.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
How was it for you?

I was just sitting here thinking what a cr*p season it's been for me, the summer floods and all, until I took a look at my pics.

It's been fantastic!

I've caught some great fish and met some absolutely lovely people through FM. I'vetravelled all over the country on FM Fish-ins and fished some awesome venues with many more to come, I hope.

The one thing that stands out the most for me is the fact that my wife Wendi hasstartedfishing with me. She absolutely loves it and has a passion for pike, but she has done rather well with the other species too! She is till learning, but aren't we all?

I've also learnt that pb's and catching fish isn't the "be all and end all"of fishing, although I've still got a date with a 2lb roach! Being on the bank and taking in the surroundings and nature are as much of fishing as is fishing.

The season is coming to an end now, but the anticipation of getting on the bank again and fishing into dark on a lovely summers night fills me with excitement. I've got plans for the new season, river carp will be my first target, after that.....who knows?

I've still got a few days left for my roach though /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

I've done what I set out to do this season.Concentrated on barbel, and caught every month.

Couple of doubles but as Steve say's,size doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things. Nor,I suppose does catching every month,but hey,it was my aim, and the firsttarget I've made for myself.

Next target, to go out and find myself some goodLincolnshire Tench.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Has been a reasonable season for me, just lately I've started to get really enthused with lure fishing.

My carping this year came on absolute leaps and bounds aswell. Hadn't had a double figure carp till this season now I've had 6 and a scrapper (both the weight and the fight) 20. 6 doesn't sound a lot but the venues I fish arn't really full of big carp.

Beecy

Reaction score
frustrating

it seems to have been a constant battle with the weather all season and i havnt enjoyed my fishing as much as i ought to, its been either too cold, too wet or too windy almost every weekend for as far back as i can remember, there may have been the odd decent day in the summer but i cant remember any.

My enthusiasm has been drained a bit of late and ive only been fishing just to get out of the house for an hour or two. Ive even been woken by the alarm clock every time, usualy i cant sleep for thinking about the day ahead and am up well before it is set to go off

Roll on the better weather when a few big nets of crucians will get me back in the mood

G

Ged

So, so this season. Spring was good in the way of tench. Lots of bream throughout the Summer and Autumn with a few small roach and pearch. This Winter, no big or reasonable pike, several blanks to boot.

Did have a god day when no one would have even attempted to fish the water.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Well I hoped for great things of this season, my first full season, only to be knocked down ill for five months of it.

But that aside, I have met some great people at the FM fish-ins, caught a whole raft of PB's ( it is easy when you are new) and learnt so much more.

I have now to look forward to a new season, this year ( since January) I have sofar caught 14 coarse and 5 sea species, and as I get fitter my fishing just gets better.

Thanks to all that have given me pointers, both in person at fish-ins and online, I hope to make up for the gap in the my fishing last year and hit some targets for this coming year.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

yesa hit and miss season for me , dont mind the cold but hate the wind as i float fish mostly. But after saying that i have had some good bags of roach + a pb roach and pb perch some lovely chub and to top it all my first ever brown trout. I am just taking up fly fishing too, but a lot to learn. I think this year is gonna be the best ever, tahnsk to all the people i know on fm and all the new friends i am about to meet. I am giong to make it a priority this year to come to a fish in if i can and meet some of you in person. Thats my goal anyway. tight lines all.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Bloody Marvelous/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Amazing catches, great trips and great people.

A "DNW" of the highest quality up on the Idle! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Rounded off nicely today as I ended my river season with two superbly conditioned Barbel.

Suppose I'll have to find some Carp, Bream and Tench now...Oh and Crucians!

Roll on next season!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A bit of a non starter for me what with a very handicapping bad back, the weather andthe flooding of my Midland rivers which has had a lasting affecton the quality of the fishing. I have had one or two wonderfuldays on my favourite river, the Wye, and these have been real red letter days and will sustain me until the next season. No pictures for me to look at like Steve, just those in mymemory banks that slot in among all the other good times sectreted there.

My fishing companion and I are joining the carp society to enable us to fish Horseshoe lake this season, something we intended to do last season but had to cancel due to his sudden illness. Hopefully there will be some wonderful tench and roach tobrighten our summer this year and I can't wait to get started, the other anglers will be praying for carp and we will praying we don't catch any hahaha!.

matt

Reaction score
I've had a great season. A P.B Carp and Catfish. Both individual fish I targeted specifically and a pb french carp.

I've fished a new water that provided the challenge I craved and met some great people along the way.

For this coming season I've a new challenging water to fish and am planning and researching a french adventure.

This fishing obsession just seems to grow and grow!!!

S

Sean Meeghan

A so-so season. It got off to a great start, but the high water through much of the summer put paid to much of my sight fishing for barbel and wiped out a lot of the weed growth. I had a coupleof decent chub, but again conditions conspired to make life difficult for me.

I'm looking forward to some great tenching and some carp stalking and, just possibly, Loch Lomond is calling again for some big pike and perch.

njb51

Reaction score
Crap really. Hardly fished at all. Did catch that new p.b chub though....whatever it weighed! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Stillwater fishing wasn't bad with some nice carp on floaters, agood fewdecent catches on the pole,and some reasonable match fishing results, but the river fishing was well below par for me. Fly fishing was excellent.

Reaction score
brilliant winter season, broke pike p.b twice ! first a trent 20, then a 25 from a local estate lake, this after 15 winters of trying to break the 15lbs barrier!

broke roach p.b. with a 2.1lbs stunning example of the species,best of all this came from my local river rother, which is amazing in itself as the river was completly dead 20 years ago.

[Summer was pretty good also, no carp over 20lbs putting in an apearance [ though cat had a lovely 23 lbs mirror from trent ,along with 2 doubles in same short morning session was glad to be there and witness that as trent mirrors are few and far between].

cat and i had a blinding session on trent during floods,landing over 50 barbel to double figures in 48 hours,along with chub to 6.2 bream to 7.0 silver bream 1.0 tench 5.6 ,and one solitery eel of 2plus!

broke my bream p.b with a fish of 8.2 from a local lake.

all in all had a very good year,cant wait for warmer weather to arrive so i can chasethe large tench that inhabit my local estate lake,also going to try for a new p.b carp from a river, should be interesting.

P.S MR. SPILLER,

when you coming fishing with team c.i.d ??

got a 32 ounce steak up here with your name on it/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
As most of you know I haven't been fishing for long (less than 2 years), so this season was very special to me. I have put a lot of effort in to fishing rivers and set myself a few target fish...which most of them I achieved with a lot of help from FM members.

First time I really target Pike and thanks to Steve and Wendi I have managed a few...double figure next season methink/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I lost my chub virginity at the River Itchen, thanks to my Partner in crime Neil, who also helped me a great deal with putting up with me when fishing a few cracking venues together. A man with nerves od steel.

I might not had the chance to fish with Peter Jacobs a lot this season but he was always on the end of the phone line, with help and advice which I am greatful for.

My highlights this season were to get my first river carp, my first chub and beating that Pb within a few weeks and of course getting my very first barbel.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jonathan I reckon a nice long weekend late August early September would be good mate?

Fingers crossed the weather gods are a bit kinder to all of us anglers next season, the summer floods totally screwed up the barbel fishing on my Avon.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Mixed season for me got some of my targets new carp pb and barbel but had too many blanks.Meet you lot at the the fish-ins SMILIES/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.