Fishing in a thunderstorm

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Its passed over now, but quite a thunderstorm dumped an inch of rain and hail in about 30 minutes. Got me thinking, i should be out on the lake - the tench have been very quiet for weeks and maybe this would get them rolling and feeding.

Is it a good idea to fish during a thunderstorm and what are the tips for avoiding getting zapped? Split cane rods?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Before maybe...during and after I'd say not. During is unpleasant at best and at worst,dangerous. Apre le deluge my local ,shallow lake, will definatey be cooler by a few degrees and this ,in my experience, is the kiss of death. I've been on rivers in storms too and both seen & smelled the road wash.....again,kiss of death until its flushed through.

I was toying with going tomorrow but we've just had a humdinger of a storm here and I think I'll opt for the lie in instead.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to fish during a thunderstorm and what are the tips for avoiding getting zapped? Split cane rods?
Only if you think that catching is worth risking death. Whilst using a good conductor like Carbon Fibre would be akin to a suicide attempt, anything raising your connection to the sky is dangerous. Most lightning goes up not down.

I'm sure that they'll come back on the feed soon Chub. Wait until the storm has passed.

Stu

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The only time i can remember being out in a real humdinger was at Waveney Valley Lakes in the mid 80s. It was the same storm that had flooded-out Wimbledon tennis earlier in the same day day. Fortunately the car was parked nearby so we piled into that until the storm had passed. But the carp were feeding well before and after - couldnt wait to get back on the bank at the time.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If it looks like a storm I'll wind in and sit it out. If the forecast is thunder storms I won't go. I've only once been into a really decent fish I would rather not have lost when a massive freak electric storm broke out. It's amazing the things that go through your head as logic is thrown to the wind - It'll be OK - the handel's cork - err what about the reel handle - pass me a neoprene glove from my holdall - Oh bother (or words to that effect) let the line go slack - great, it's thrown the hook.
Jerry

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I really love a really good thunderstorm but when fishing I lay my rods down on the grass and then I will push my chair or seatbox right back away from my rods, with the brolly up, and sit there and enjoy the spactacle.

There is something special about the 'buzz' in the air and the sound of rain falling on a brolly that I really love.

chav professor

Reaction score
I have used a 20ft john allerton trotting rod under High tension power lines...... it attracts charge through the air and gives a 'buzzing' sensation much akin to having a family of wasps inside - this effect is most apparent on moist days.:eek: The power lines may be a long way up...... but it does make we wonder sometimes... but there are good chub in these swims...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
warm, muggy stormy nights are renowned for catching eels.... has anyone had an eel bonanza under such conditions?

Well, not eels as I don't fish for them to be totally honest, but some of my best Carp and Tench have been taken within 4 hours after the end of really violent thunderstorms.

My best Brown Trout also came within an hour after a good downpour and a thunderstorm on the River Test, and my largest Rainbow Trout came minutes after a good downpour at Avington.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have fished just before a heavy electrical storm , on a commercial , and the fish seem to become very active, now it was warm anyway , and I am not saying there is a definite correlation , but what might be the explanation ? Air pressure ?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Fished yesterday evening/night and sat (clinging on for dear life!) under my brolly whilst a very electric storm and torrential rain hit the area. It was at least the second one to pass through that evening. Only lasted about 10 mins but it was quite spectacular. During the storm, the best bite alarm known to man "screamed" but somehow I contrived to miss it!

About 30 mins after that I had the first of two fine Barbel. The storm really changed the whole feel of the early night from very oppressive and muggy to quite cool and fresh.

Like Peter, I had one of my biggest Rainbow Trout from Avington, directly after sheltering in the clubhouse during a monumental downpour!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
During the storm, the best bite alarm known to man "screamed" but somehow I contrived to miss it!

It was probably scared witless, Neil. :)

Fishing before a storm is OK but you wouldn't catch me out during one or if one is forecast.There is nothing I hate more than arriving home with soaking wet kit and spending 3 days drying it all off.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
As a sort of post script, a few years ago whilst fishing at Avington, the glorious Vulcan Bomber did a couple of "laps" before landing at the nearby Southampton Airport. It came in exceptionally low over the lakes, the noise and vibration was immense. The surface of the lake sort of vibrated (almost like boiling). For about an hour afterwards, the trout went berserk! :confused:

waggy

Reaction score
I really love a really good thunderstorm but when fishing I lay my rods down on the grass and then I will push my chair or seatbox right back away from my rods, with the brolly up, and sit there and enjoy the spactacle.

There is something special about the 'buzz' in the air and the sound of rain falling on a brolly that I really love.
'Buzz' isn't the word I'd use Peter: ZAP, more like, if you're sitting next to a brolly with a steel pole.