Canal fishing tips

rains

Reaction score
Hi all am new to canal fishing and usually fish local lakes about 3 to 4 foot deep i always fish just on the bottom maybe a inch over depth using maggots and sweetcorn i don't use ground bait.

i was wondering will this method work on canals do i have to fishing off the bottom would the use of ground bait benifit me any tips would be great thanks

i would add that am not targeting a specific species anything will do :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
That may well work mate and you could also consider varying your approach a little.

Also worth a try is to feed caster to the far bank, but over a period of time, say for a few hours and then fish over it later on with caster hookbait.

Down the centre of the canal it's always worth feeding some chopped worm and fishing worm over the top.

The maggot fishing is still always good for a few bites, use squatts and pinkies keep firing squatts over literally every minute and fish a canal grey type float with single pinkie or double squatt on a small fine wire hook.

There are loads of permutations, and what you are currently doing may not be that far off the mark.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
on canals there is a deeper central channel where the boats travel and towards hte margins canals usually are shallower plumb up until you find where the water gets deeper

Also if the far bank has no tow path and therefore very little if any access for people the fish will naturally go there to seek cover

rocketmandan

Reaction score
Hi Rains,

I have recently started fishing my local Canal (Rochdale) and was fishing on the bottom with not much luck. I got talking to a guy who fished it regular and he said that becuse the bottom is full of weed/silt it was better to fish an inch or so off the bottom to save the bait getting lost in the ****. That same day i had three decent Bream (For a newbie anyway). I have always found the best way to figure out a new water is to ask the fellas who are already fishing as they will most often know the best methods.

I have found putting a bed of Hemp and caster worked for me with a Maggot Hook bait.

Tight Lines,
Danny.

agamemnon

Reaction score
fishing a canal is the same as any water. plumb the depth and find the drop offs. a canal has shallow edges at the bank and shelves drop the depth in the centre. fish to either shelf as when boats come through they will wash the bait into edges of the shelf. start of fishing about 2" on the bottom and then slowly bring the bait up in the water until you find the depth the fish are feeding on.
also dont forget overhanging bushes and lilly pads as they always a good plce to find fish