What is the nastiest thing.....

dezza

Reaction score
That you have ever landed on rod and line?

I once hooked a stonefish - these are killers, and an old mate of mine landed a human head, but when i think about it would be the electric ray I hooked off the beach near Plettenberg Bay - South Africa ca 1973.

I plunged the gaff into this horror, but unfortunatly the gaff was wet and the thing gave me a tremendous jolt.

I then grabbed the steel trace, and I got another jolt.

I eventually cut through the monofil and watched as this horror of a fish made its way back to sea through the surf.

It must have weighed about 70 lbs.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Not on rod as such, but got a grappling hook caught on a drum once in a lake we were refurbishing. When we got it to land it contained 5 gallons of creosote. Came in handy for painting the wooden steps we put in though.

Also on same lake we had three huge red eared turtles, they used to sun themselves on telegraph poles that were floating in the lake, and a chap caught one once. Cut the line and threw it back in.

I have hooked a seal before now off Whitby, it broke the line. Another member of our party caught a wolfish and the skipper jumped on the foredeck and said "You 'kin well deal with it, I'm not."

Michael Hastings

Reaction score
Just this weekend I hooked a Carp that was tethered to a snag by someone else's line. My hook pulled, hope the Carp gets away.

frederico

Reaction score
My granddad has caught a seagull, as well as hooking himself with a pike treble hook with a large barb (that was a while ago) and he needed 4 injections and eventually had it removed after seeing 3 different medical people. I once hooked a dog that jumped up and grabbed my luncheon meat on the back cast, fortunately i was using a barbless hook and the dog was fine, don't think it even felt anything; it was too preoccupied with the meat!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I believe this photo speaks for itself - the angle is in the favour of the angler but some might guess who it is.............:D
Jerry
PS He begged me to give him a hand but I had to be honest and tell him I was too busy laughing and taking a photo - I did give him a couple of plasters for his fingers though:wh

barbelboi-albums-pics-3-picture3234-pod-2.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
Not that exotic but Conger Eels are pretty nasty..everyone knows I guess how even little freshwater Eels can be a slippery nightmare at times so a big Eel which can have a set of jaws like a small dog is not a bunch of fun. We used to catch them when wreck fishing out in the channel. I remember the first one I ever saw, as soon as the guy boated it the skipper immediatly smashed it on the head with a claw hammer and it still was writhing about. Add to this a rocking boat, wind, rain and total darkness (as we fished through the night) and you have a recipie for badness all round.:eek:

Red Army

Reaction score
A snake on a lake in the South West of France years ago...needless to say that I cut the line rather than trying to unhook it!

More recently at Dimmock pit near MK a baby swan which wasn't that nasty except that Mum & Dad swan decided to come to the rescue and they were particularly nasty and unhappy.

little oik

Reaction score
A weaver fish off the south coast.

Green Turtle grabbed my muillee luckily it was only a small one and also caught an Octopus .Cut the line of the ocky due to not being able to get to its mouth due to limbs in all direction and it also wouldn't keep still as it used its suckers to pull it along the inside of the boat with no chance of keeping it still .

Reaction score
Turtles with snappy jaws in India,

And although not strictly nasty, I have on two occassions landed coconuts from the river Leam whilst piking...