What's the worst experience you have ever had.....

dezza

Reaction score
Whilst out fishing?

For me it has to be the time I hooked a puffadder on a dry fly.

To be honest I thought it was an eel of sorts, but then when I got it near the boat, it began writhing, hissing and striking in all directions with 1 inch long fangs. In those days I carried a revolver and managed to shoot the thing through the head with the third shot.

What a fright I had.

Then there was the time when a 5 inch long centipede got into my tent. The bite from a large centipede can be very dangerous indeed. This this had a shiny brown body and orange legs - lots of them.

I did get a snake in my tent on one occasion, a red lipped herald snake which is not particularly poisonous. It is back fanged.

But I did have a boomslang (tree snake) try to climb up the edge of my float tube on one occasion. Those snakes are dangerous, but they are not particularly aggressive.

And then there was the bull in a field by the side of the Leam in Warwickshire.

How many of you have had altercations with bulls?

Reaction score
Almost trod on a cobra whilst poaching Karanji lake in Mysore, luckily it was busy eating a fish dropped by another snake...

Another time I has a few nights fishing on the Cauvery and then on the third evening before we went out a passing forest guard casually mentioned that a tiger and her cub had swam the river the night before and taken a cow from a field behind our hut... they must have passed within a hundred yards of us...

We still went out tho!

In England just the usual run-ins with cows and dogs...

One that does come to mind in this country is fishing a swim on the Teme when I suddenly noticed the hideous smell of human sh*t.

Some dirty b*gger had been illegally night fishing and taken a huge slimy dump...

I was just packing up in disgust when a lovely big labrador ran down, stuck his face in it and ate the lot... his head was covered in it...

Then came the inevitable call from the owner and the dog turned round happy as Larry and sped off to his master... I bet he got the shock of his life! :eek:

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
Jesus, Mary & Joseph.

I don't want to seem like a faintheart, but I think if I had to contend with puff adders, cobras and tigers I'd pack up fishing and take up cross stitching instead.

About the worst thing that's happened to me whilst fishing is to have a swan hiss at me when I've shooed it away. :eek:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
How many of you have had altercations with bulls?
Nothing serious while fishing but when I was young enough to still run competatively, out on a training run with my dog (very large Boxer Bitch with attidude) we got caught in the middle of a field by a very bad tempered Bull that I'd not noticed in the puffing sweating state I was in.:eek:

The dog was on a long lead, as the Bull stomped over snorting and throwing it's head, I was completely out of ideas, no hill to run down, too far to risk legging it so we stopped and faced it. The dog got out in front of me, got low, out came the fangs and it let out a very menacing low snarl. The Bull and the dog just looked at each other about 10 yds apart for what seemed an eternity but was probably a minute or two at most. My heart was racing, the options didn't look good. Then the Bull blinked first, stomped it's front hooves, shook it's head at the dog, the dog snarled again and the Bull slowly backed off. I dragged the dog walking backwards and we got over the fence.:eek:

Dog's been dead over 20 years now but can remember it like yesterday, never saw her back down in her life. Could be a problem sometimes but that time, double rations!:w

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just thought of another one...

I got a permit to fish Ufton nature reserve near Warwick...

No night fishing but dusk fine...

Had a ****y tummy so had to dodge off into the trees... dug a hole... job done, filled hole back up...

Unbeknowns to me whilst I'd been doing the business a mosiquito had leapt up and bit the old fella...

Got home that eve to find the wife a bit frisky but by that time I had a swelling the size of a duck egg on the chap...

Had to confess and show the evidence cos she didn't believe me :eek:mg::eek::rolleyes::cool:

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I was once fishing a favourite weirpool on the Stour , sat in an old style fold out canvas chair , when two anglers arrived and noisily set up on the opposite bank casting their baits in front of me, as if I wasn't there, then chatting loudly.
Anyway I soon started catching the odd small chub, then after about half an hour started getting bigger chub , whilst they weren't catching at all. I was grinning wildly and smugly as I put the chub back into the river with them watching . Each chub I momentarily held and admired as I lowered it back into the river, in full view of the anglers opposite.
Then ,suddenly ,my smugness was brought down to earth when, as I sat back in my old canvas chair , it creaked a bit ,then with a loud rip completely split in half! I collapsed on to the gravel at my feet with the chair folded round me , I was tangled in it ,kind of half man half chair!! I struggled to my feet as the anglers opposite rolled about on the floor in stitches, their laughter filling the air.
I tried to fish on but every now and again they would burst out laughing again , so I packed up and made my way back to the car park,with my broken old canvas chair over my shoulder.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone curled one off into the hood of their one piece suit?

Not quite, I did get caught short with a bad case of Delhi belly when fishing the Swale many years ago. I was struggling to find a suitable spot when things got very pressing indeed. I did find a spot and rapidly, whether I liked it or not, got down to business. My moment of extreme relief was ruined by the realisation that, in my haste, I'd not properly checked my bomb aiming sights. I could have kept my keks on and made less of a mess.:eek:;):D:eek:mg:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
As a junior i had an allergic reaction to some medicine while I was fishing with a club on a coach trip - on a freezing winters day - to somewhere on the Rother. I just started to itch all over and felt overheated a real distraction on a new exciting water. I was wearing countless layers to keep warm as there was snow on the ground, so pretty much ignored it. When i got home i realised i had a red spotty rash all over, and lying in a cold bath for about an hour was the only relief. After the medicine wore off it passed.

Kevan Farmer

Reaction score
Crikey, I though I would be the only one with an embarrassing 'toilet' moment, it seems not!!! Anyway, it was earlier this year (last day of the river season actually) and I had been fishing the Severn just below Shrewsbury on a stretch of club water. The relevant part to this is that there is a public footpath literally right next to the river. It was afternoon, I'd had no bites at all when suddenly I got a very bad bout of IBS decide to make itself known. I knew I could not make it back home as that was a drive of around 40 miles :eek: But I 'had' to go. I ended up dropping my trousers in the very nick of time. Christ the stink was awful and you could smell it all the way back to the car. Every second I was squatting there I was dreading somebody walking along that path. Thankfully, for both me and any walkers, none came along :) I had nothing at all with me to bury my erm, fertiliser so I had to hope it rained before too long.

God help the next person who did walk past.....

Reaction score
I got a very bad bout of IBS decide to make itself known.

HAHAHAH...yes...a couple of big smelly farts then the 'countdown' begins....3 mins....maybe 10 at the most.

Canals are the worst. Usually no 'cover', other anglers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, kids....oh and the boaters going past really slowly.

I have a Nash NOMAD chair....waiting for the commode version, the COMAD.