Whip Fishing help...

aidi123

Reaction score
Just bought a new 5m elasticated whip with size 18 hollow elastic. Going fishing at Bradshaw Fisheries in Bolton in a few days, and as anyone who's been there will know, it some sizeable carp in it, with anything up to 20lbs.Will the tip give before the elastic can do its job? Don't want the whip to snap if I hook a bonus carp whilst catching small fish on my first outing with it! Help please...

jasonbean1

Reaction score
help..yep you need it.

have a re-think about what your doing...:) and what your trying to catch considering your venue

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Just bought a new 5m elasticated whip with size 18 hollow elastic. Going fishing at Bradshaw Fisheries in Bolton in a few days, and as anyone who's been there will know, it some sizeable carp in it, with anything up to 20lbs.Will the tip give before the elastic can do its job? Don't want the whip to snap if I hook a bonus carp whilst catching small fish on my first outing with it! Help please...

I have tried this , I have had a couple of tench between 4 - 6lbs on a whip on the canal - a passer by remarked he thought I had caught the bottom, but carp up to 10 on a commercial resulted in a hook pull every time and I suspect if I had got the carp in close enough to net the whip would have been bending too ferociously, it just didn't work, but I had the elastic through 2 sections so there was about 2 M of elastic in the whip. If you are only fishing 5m out you would get more control with a conventional rod and a reel so you can play the fish on the clutch. Just my opinion of course.

aidi123

Reaction score
I'm trying to catch small fish like roach, perch etc. but last time i went i was float fishing on rod and caught a few bonus carp of about 3 - 4lbs. Do you think the whip would snap or is there anyway to reduce the risk of my whib breaking?

David Dalton

Reaction score
If you are after silver fish, I should use a very light hooklength and a small, fine wire hook like a Kamasan B511. That way, either the hooklength will break or your hook will straighten before the whip is damaged.

You can land bigger fish though than some people would imagine on a whip - this video is worth watching:

Tri-Cast Trilogy XS Competition Whip - YouTube

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whip + 18 elastic + big carp = Broken whip.
Whip + 18 elastic + tiddlers = Endless bumped fish.

Whips, even elasticated ones, are meant for snatching tiddlers at speed on light lines. If you are needing to use an 18 elastic then you need to be looking at a margin pole of some description.

I have a very unusual Abu "power whip" from over ten years ago. it was a proto margin pole really,from the era before we started using catty elastic and 10lb line on the end of carbon broom handles. The limit of its elastic rating was a 12. Much else that could accurately be described as a whip is likely to be intended to have either no elastic whatsoever, or one of a pretty low rating (4/6 tops).

aidi123

Reaction score
Thanks, that video really helped! So i'm guessing a whip can hold a 9lb barbel then it will quite comfortably hold a 4 - 6 lb carp - very reassuring! Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated!

Last edited:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I should probably point out a couple of things about the video. Firstly, the whip is a "system whip" which means that it doubles as short pole. It has a flick tip for small fish, and two spare top kits that can be elasticated for larger fish.

In order to be able to catch barbel and carp, the guy removed the lighter tip section of one of the top kits so that the elastic came out through the stronger second section. This made the whip much stronger, as the top third is the thinnest and therefore the weakest.

I don't know if your whip is a "system whip" or a conventional one. As others have said, the primary purpose of whips is to catch small fish quickly. I'm very surprised that your whip comes with 18 elastic though - 8 elastic would sound about right.

Last edited:

Red Army

Reaction score
Agree with the above, hollow 18 in a whip is a non-sense and recipe for disaster.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
The Whip could be a 5m Margin Pole, but, without the name of it, it's impossible to tell.

If you are in any doubt, don't use it.

balalur

Reaction score
I think we should stop using the term "whip" when talking about elasticated poles...You can't catch "tiddlers" with speed using an elastic!It takes a whip tip to make a whip...:D
As for the original question I think the main thing is to use balance tackle-the pole,the line and the elastic should match..."It's simples"...meerkat!