Water conditions on the Gt Ouse???

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Good morning all....

Can anyone provide any up to date information re weather/water conditions on the Great Ouse.

I'm planning an end of seasontripfor Thursday & Friday 13th & 14th March.

What with all this stormy weather we've had this week, not sure what it's like down there. It's a 400 mile round trip for me so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Steve

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Report from another site last night.......

"River was as low and as clear as I have seen it all season. 3.5 degrees when I left at 9pm."

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Cheers Wol....

Plan is to fish for the chub & perch rather than the barbel...so low and clear sounds good to me...

But was wondering whether to pack some barbel gear just in case its up n coloured...

W

Ah, in that case then its roving about for a few hours in the day for the Chub and a Perch attack at dusk, good luck mate.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
'Tis blowing a hoolie up here in the North West today but forecast is a little bit better for next couple of days...not bothered about the wind, more concerned with the rain - don't want to find myself 200 miles from home with the wrong gear etc 'cos the rivers the colour of cocoa & coming through like the proverbial steam train....

So, fingers crossed...

Steve

W

I would of thought you'd be ok mate, you taking the tit with you?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Steve

The Gt Ouse at Stony Stratford is 5 mins for where I work. If you want I'll pop out in a while and have look

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Wol...think he's got his barbel head on at the moment although he says its cos he can't get out of work....no doubt we'll hear from him soon....

Kevin....Thanks for your offer...if you could do that it would be very much appreciated mate....maybe you shouldtake the gear with you, it only takes a minute to catch a beast...you never know...but a walk down to the river should brighten up your day at work if nothing else....

Just been listening to the radio, the delightful M6 over Thelwall viaduct is closed both ways...need this wind to drop or I may not be going anywhere....

Thanks guys...

Steve.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Steve

River is currently up around 18 inches, fairly steady flow, no cr*p coming down and carrying a bit of colour, but nowhere near chocolate. Looks pretty good at the moment

Regards

Kevin

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Thanks for thatKevin, I owe you one....it sounds ideal....hopefully it'll stay that way and maybe I can end the season with a big stripey....looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

Steve

G

Gary Knowles

Wol - he won't go anyway..she who must be obeyed will see to that /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ste - I was stuck in the traffic on Thelwall this morning. Took me 5 hours to drive from Warrington to Manchester...not fekin happy I can tell you..would have took me less time to drive to friggin Hampshire.....

Yup been giving the barbel a caning at the moment...will tell you all about it soon /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Plant

Reaction score
I'm going with her blessing mate....

(there you go, I'll set you up with a perfect cross, allyou haveto do is tap it in to the empty net...) /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Yoggy999

Reaction score
Steve, the section I usually fish is very low and clear at the moment.

No Barbel showing but plenty of decent Chub!!

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Cheers Yoggy....that sounds ideal for the fishing I want to do....I've fished there a few times for both the chub & the perch & I know what conditions I want...if the conditions forced me to change tack for the barbel, I'd be at a bit of a loose end 'cos I don't think they are present in the stretches I have access to....it would be a last minute 'find a barbel stretch' type of thing....

The forecast though seems okay so fingers crossed...

Cheers
Steve

G

Gary Knowles

"I'm going with her blessing mate...."

Well you couldn't go without it !!!!!

There, you set 'em up...i'll knock 'em in /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

G

Gary Knowles

Pity she let you go really mate eh ?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif