Reel gear ratio?

bigsean

Reaction score
i mostly use a baitcaster reel for my lure fishing, as i mostly use big lures!!!
i have a lighter lure rod and some lighter pike/perch lures .... i have a newish reel that is a bit on the big side for lure fishing, i also have a smaller reel which is about 10yrs old but still in good working order .... the gear ratio on it is 1:4:6 ...... i've never really understood reel gear ratio's, cos i've never really bothered trying to lol
will this reel be ok for throwing lures between 15 and 40 grams?

dezza

Reaction score
the gear ratio on it is 1:4:6 .....

That doesn't seem right, or do you mean 1 : 4.6 ?

This means that for every single revolution of your winding knob, the spool will turn 4.6 times.

As regards the casting weight, this has nothing to do with the gear ratio; it is more to do with the size of the reel. Small baitcasters can handle quite light baits as the spool is lighter and as such is possessed of low inertia.

What is the make of your reel?

bigsean

Reaction score
Yes that's the ratio Ron .... The baitcaster reel I use for my bigger lures is an okuma citrix, and I use lures from 50 to 150 grams,
The small fixed spool reel I intend using for my lighter lures is made by D.A.M .... It's old but works perfectly for my float fishing, so I've loaded the spare spool with braid and gonna give it a go with my lighter lures for pike and hopefully perch