Fishing in the Closed Season

M

Matthew White

Hi All

What type of fishing can I do in the closed season on the rivers?

I wouldnt mind doing a bit of worm fishing for trout, can i do this with my current rod liscence.

I am unsure what is legal and at what time.

W

Wolfman Woody

You don't say where you live and have not filled in your profile so no-one can answer your question because different byelaws exist in different regions.

Thames, you can fish for trout on and after April 1st with flies or spinners.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
On rivers where fishing for trout is allowed you will also find that the controlling clubs will impose different regulations. They may ban all fishing until 16th June, even for trout, which is the case on some Hants. Avon water. Or they may impose additional restriction over and above the EA restrictions that apply such as only allowing fly fishing.

I would check the club book carefully and if in doubt ask.

The standard EA freshwater licence covers brown trout not migratory trout for some obscure reason (biologically the same fish). The methods allowed will vary between regions.

J K

Reaction score
My club only allows fly fishing for trout during the coarse fish close season.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The ribble as a complete ban on bait fishing during the close season. So only fly and spinner allowed.

Hyperthetical question. Do artificial baits come under bait restrictions.

Is a artificial pellet treat diffrent to a artificial minnow.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Matthew

You can fish the upper and most of the middle reaches of all the Yorkshire rivers during the Trout season - from 24 March I think, but check your rod licence. The rules are fly, worm and spinners only and the stretch must be designated a trout or a mixed fishery by the controlling club. Your club may also impose rules such as fly only. You <u>MUST</u> be fishing for trout and if an RA bailiff asks you what you're fishing for and you answer chub or barbel you'll be in bother. Leeds and Bradfors No 1 have some superb wild trout fishing in your neck of the woods. Message me if you want some more info.