Red Belly Tench

Reaction score
I caught my first Tench of the year earlier today, a very strange looking one. It's entire belly was bright red, slightly blotchy at the edges.

There wasno broken skin and the fish seemed otherwise healthy - Female about 4.5/5lbs.

Does anyone know what could have caused it tohave a brightred belly?

tinca steve

Reaction score
I have noticed that where trout pellets with high oil content is used in profusion fish seem to have a red belly , i have noticed this oddity in roach tench and carp.

Reaction score
Could be Steve.Quite a lot of pellets go into the water, although knowhere near commercial proportions. Never seen this on any other fish from the water though.

I wish I'd had a camera with me so I could show just bright red it was.

N

NomadPaul

Mike , there was a discussion on the Cemex site a few weeks back about red-blotchy marked Tench . Apparently , its not uncommon early in the season. Did they look like these two pics ?-
jan016.jpg

jan015.jpg

Hope the mods don't mind me linking to the Cemex discussion - Cemex red tench discussion

Reaction score
Hi NomadPaul

Thanks for posting that - yes I think that is the same.

The one I caught had an almost uniform redness across it's underside, the same shade as those pictures.

As you said, it appears that it is not that uncommon and the general consensus was that it is harmless. Very strange though!

tinca steve

Reaction score
That is not pellet oil induced as it looks like the skin itself has a problem but the fins are also red so unless a fish is sent for testing we can only guess.

john charlton 2

Reaction score
i caught a tench like this years ago and was told its something to do with spawning!

not my opinion but that was the explanation i got.