Float making materials??

D

Dave Feeney

Anyone know an address for buying float making materials i.e pre-shaped balsa or cork, sacandas reed, etc, etc.
I fancy having a go at making the more elaborate patterns, as I already make straight wagglers.
thanks

K

Kevan Farmer

Dave. Try here to start with:

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk

They are selling porcupine quills by the box. I bought a mixed box of 100 for ?20. I'm very pleased with them. As for balsa, that's another matter. I've searched and searched for pre-shaped rugby ball balsa. I used to be able to get it at a local tackle shop but they have closed down years ago. Now I tend to buy balsa dowel at a local model making shop and shape it myself. It is a bit hit and miss especially if you want nice neat rows of floats. I've also found the kids discarded felt pen tubes to be very useful for heavier waggler patterns. For stems I tend to use thin wooden barbecue skewers. They are perfect and easily obtainable.

If somebody can come up with a supplier of ready made/shaped balsa I'd be very interested too.

Kevan

D

Dave Feeney

Thanks Kev, one of the reasons I would like pre-shaped balsa or cork is that I can make identical floats so that if I lose one I'v another spare.
I did try and make some years ago and bought the materials from the classified in the angling press, but have not seen an advert for years.It's early days yet I'm sure someone can help us.

K

Kevan Farmer

"I'm sure someone can help us" I'll second that with a big PLEASE.

Kevan

D

Dave Feeney

Start plucking them peacocks Kevan.. me thinks it's straight wagglers for me and thee! :) :) or does anyone know different???

K

Kevan Farmer

Not exactly deluged with shaped balsa are we Dave. I have tried some model shops but have got absolutely nowhere. The professional float manufacturers must get them from somewhere.

Kevan

C

Craig Smith

The only thing I can think of is to check in modeling shops. They normally stock pre cut pear shaped balsa.

K

Kevan Farmer

Craig. If you have any local model shops that sell balsa in this way please let us know. I cannot find any local or on the web. tackle shops used to sell it but now of course...

Kevan

D

Dave Feeney

I used to buy pacs of oval/pear shaped cork and balsa, 6 pieces to a pac, but for the life of me,I can't remember where from, but thanks for the help Craig, the quest go's on!!!
One of the problems is that manufactured floats are just so good, guess there is no market for home madies, but it sure is sweet catching on a home made float, I'll be looking for a cane rod next :) :)

J

John Pleasance

Take one(or more)dead swan,remove the feathers and you'll have loads of fine quills for floats.

Check it's stomach content and you'll probably find enough lead to shot the float as well. ;o)

J

John Pleasance

Craig,if you strip out a length of the intestine and fill it with the shot you should be able to attach it to the line.If you knot the intestine between each shot(like a string of sausages) you can decide how much of a length to use depending on the size of the quill.

K

Kevan Farmer

...and there is every chance that tangles could be minimised too. ;-)

Kevan

C

Craig Smith

I'll just buy the non lead stuff. Knowing a game keeper is the best bet or better still being good mates with his son. Peakock feathers make great float's

K

Kevan Farmer

So it would seem that the general opinion is that it is now impossible to obtain ready shaped balsa? I will still keep looking but I do not hold out much hope. I shall probably go down the road of using a drill and sandpaper to shape it from balsa dowel - which has been suggested on the above mentioned thread. But where do the manufacturers get their shaped balsa from?

I reckon that there would be a market for it if somebody were willing to give it a go.

Paint. If anybody is having difficulty getting hold of suitable fluorescent paint try B&Q. They have a wonderful range in jars that are bigger than the ubiquitous Humbrol rip off tins. They are priced at around ?3.00 Don't forget though that you get a lot of paint for your money. I have found some great luminous paint at Focus DIY. It may not be available at all branches so ask. It is nearly as bright as a Starlite and holds it's light for hours.

Kevan